Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ECU Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Trouble

I have a 99 disco 1. The ECU may have been shorted by crossing wires while hard wiring a MAS. I have mail the ECU off to be fixed but believe I was scammed. Does anyone know a good company that repairs ECUs or where I can get a new one flashed?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Usually Paul Grant has a few ECU's on his shelf.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a ECU I'm looking to get mine repaired. If it cant be repaired I need someone to flash the security out of a new one so it will work with the BCMs.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The security in the D1 isn't very good. There are reports of people just swapping the ECU without having to put it in security learn mode and everything working fine. Other times not so.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by LandrJM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a ECU I'm looking to get mine repaired. If it cant be repaired I need someone to flash the security out of a new one so it will work with the BCMs.
You'll probably end up cheaper by buying a matching ECU and Alarm module from Paul Grant than trying to get yours repaired and flashed.
I didn't think D1's had BCM's?????

Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fishEH
I didn't think D1's had BCM's?????
They don't. The only sync is between the ECM and the Lucas 10AS security module.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM
4wd Low

Thanks guys, Ill look in to getting a new one & a security mod. This Discovery has been kicking my butt.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default These abbreviations

Originally Posted by jafir
They don't. The only sync is between the ECM and the Lucas 10AS security module.
OK, enlighten me please:

What is the ECU? I only know of the ECM.

What is the Security Module? I know of an alarm system relay.

What is a BCM?

The D1 had me stumped for a while but the forum jargon has me stumped many times...

Last edited by MonteroMan; 06-15-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
OK, enlighten me please: What is the ECU? I only know of the ECM. What is the Security Module? I know of an alarm system relay. What is a BC The D1 had me stumped for a while but the forum jargon has me stumped many times...
ECM = ECU

Engine control module or emission control module or electronic control module. Or replace the word module with unit.

Security = Alarm, but it also is designed to keep the engine from starting.

BCU is the body control unit. A computer for the body systems. Not in a D1. D2, P38 and newer have something like this.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am smiling

Originally Posted by jafir
ECM = ECU

Engine control module or emission control module or electronic control module. Or replace the word module with unit.

Security = Alarm, but it also is designed to keep the engine from starting.

BCU is the body control unit. A computer for the body systems. Not in a D1. D2, P38 and newer have something like this.

Gee thanks... my flabber is gasted... and I assume BCU = BCM?

My starting problem was the immobiliser that has a mind of its own.

And the British (of all people) put all these electronic control-whatevers in the vehicles they punt as designed for travelling the lonely places on this planet? Reading the plethora of sad facts and worries owners have on this forum I think Landrovers are OK to play with, and then get towed away to get its electronics fixed up - or get it not fixed up soon. You want electronic stuff to keep n working year after year you get the Dutch to design it and the Japannese to build and install it.

At least the 4-wheel drive system is originaly German designed.

That aircraft in my avatar is a British Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer - a transonic strategic and tactical strike weapon of immense ability which I flew in anger. The design philosphy and performance was way up with the best en better than most. Gee, but the design of the man-machine interface was prehistoric. A cockpit cluttered with instruments and switches and ***** and little 1960 generation electronic indicators. And all these not grouped together by system - apparently they had a big loom of wires of different lengths and where a wire ended that is where that instrument or switch was placed...

So much to learn about the electronics in my old D1 here. I had two Tdi Landrovers in South Africa (1994 and 1995) three engines and four gearboxes in two years, two power steering boxes, two A-frame ball joints, two diesel pumps, and when I left them at the dealer still under warranty and claimed my money back the new stuff already had oil leaks...

I got this old neglected D1 for a song and plan to fix her and keep her if I can live with the massive oil leak from the steering box. It seems fixing helps for a few months, or a few hours by some reports.

A.

Quick Reply: ECU Trouble