Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Electrical Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Help

Howdy,

I was hoping I could find some help on this forum to diagnose an issue with my '98 Disco.

The sunroof was leaking down onto the dash, and I think created some electrical problems.

Basically, the battery is drained while the truck is parked.

The steps I've taken are that I've disconnected the battery, and attached the battery leads to a battery charger that has a AMPs reading on it.

When I hooked up the battery charger (without the battery installed), it indicated no AMPs being drawn, which leads me to preclude no electrical shorts.

However, the battery is still drained after an hour or so of being installed.

Help?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We need to start simple.
How old is the battery?
Was it 100% charged before it drained?
Have you had your alternator tested?
Have you double checked the belt routing on the truck?
Discover Defender Maintenance Tips, Accessories, Parts & More at Roverparts.com
If the belt is routed wrong the battery will not charge.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
8th Gear
Exclamation

Battery is 1 month old.

Just checked the belt routing, and it's correct.

The alternator, I could take that out and get it checked.

It's not turning over at all, due to a dead battery. But when I hooked up the battery charger and turn the ignition switch to position 2, the fuel pump relay clicks like no buddies business, and doesn't stop.

Time to trouble shoot the start up sequence?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EthanCW
Battery is 1 month old.

Just checked the belt routing, and it's correct.

The alternator, I could take that out and get it checked.

It's not turning over at all, due to a dead battery. But when I hooked up the battery charger and turn the ignition switch to position 2, the fuel pump relay clicks like no buddies business, and doesn't stop.

Time to trouble shoot the start up sequence?
Charge the battery overnight and check your grounds also. They go bad or get corroded and it will cause some funky stuff.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If the problem started after the sunroof leak, then odds are good that's what caused it.
Pull all your fuses in the engine compartment (note where they go so you put them back in the correct location, they are labeled on the underside of the fuse box cover).
Using a test light connected to the terminal in the fuse box fed from the battery, touch each connector for a fuse on the vehicle side. The one that lights up has a drain. You'll need to determine if it's supposed to or not.
You may have to repeat this, after replacing all the engine compartment fuses, with the fuse panel behind the drop down panel under the steering column.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you take care of the sunroof leak yet?

Also crawl around underneath dash area with a bright light and see if you spot corrosion. Do the same thing check electrical connections underneath the vehicle.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
8th Gear
Question

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Did you take care of the sunroof leak yet?

Also crawl around underneath dash area with a bright light and see if you spot corrosion. Do the same thing check electrical connections underneath the vehicle.
Yep, removed the headliner, and installed two new drains on the back end of the drain pans.

We've had plenty of rain since I installed them, and they are working great.

I'm charging the car battery right now.

We'll see how that goes.

I can't decide what the clicking is when I try to turn the motor over. The picture in the RAVE manual say it's the Condenser Fan Relay

Incidentally, after charging the battery, it turned right over. Let it run for an hour, and let it sit for and hour. Tried it again, and it turned right over.

I dunno.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It should turn right over with a fully charged battery. You probably just had it run down.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a similar problem 2 years ago. Same predicament, same results.
The battery drain was wet relays, once dried no more problems.
Incidentally, I still haven't dropped the liner yet, it's doing it all by itself, I keep it up with poppys (you know, veteran poppys). I better do it soon, the kids are getting tired of the soakings.
Another great tool for the car electrician is a device that plugs in place of the fuse and tells the current drain, it's a little pricy but worth it. It simplifies hunting for ON circuits.

SD

Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EthanCW
Yep, removed the headliner, and installed two new drains on the back end of the drain pans.

We've had plenty of rain since I installed them, and they are working great.

I'm charging the car battery right now.

We'll see how that goes.

I can't decide what the clicking is when I try to turn the motor over. The picture in the RAVE manual say it's the Condenser Fan Relay

Incidentally, after charging the battery, it turned right over. Let it run for an hour, and let it sit for and hour. Tried it again, and it turned right over.

I dunno.
Could have a bad cell in the battery. Check the current draw when you turn it over. Let us know if it stays good for a week.

Quick Reply: Electrical Help