Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Code Scanner and Fuse Tester Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Code Scanner and Fuse Tester Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for an engine code scanner specifically for Land Rovers?

Also I need a fuse tester that will reach from the battery to the fuse panel under the steering wheel.. Or can anyone suggest where else I can ground it?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

There was a Hawkeye up for sale right here just a few days ago...... Ultra Gauge is recommended; UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Um, the fuse thingy...... not so sure what the need is for there sweet Cole Mini Turbo Diesel.......

Ground directly to the metal frame under the knee bolster flop down door (where the bad bad fuses live).

The following 2 users liked this post by ihscouts:
colemtd (10-26-2016), JUKE179r (11-18-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
There was a Hawkeye up for sale right here just a few days ago...... Ultra Gauge is recommended; UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Um, the fuse thingy...... not so sure what the need is for there sweet Cole Mini Turbo Diesel.......

Ground directly to the metal frame under the knee bolster flop down door (where the bad bad fuses live).
Heyyyyy My Friend! Long time.. That sounds like a plan!

To be honest I just bought the fuse tester just to practice with it. My cigarette lighter fuse went out and I replaced it but just want to be able to check the rest of them as well..

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Camel Trophy

I use the ol eyeball method, pull fuse out of socket - check with eyeballs. In-between the blades of the clear plastic covered fuse is the fuse proper which in a good fuse looks like an inverted "U". In a bad fuse the inverted "U" is missing. Fuse University. I'm not gonna go any further with it's initials........

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy

I've kinda fallen off the Rover band wagon, mine is ready for the great resting place in the sky body wise, too many rust spots in critical areas. Not worth my time to repair. I put 100k on it, got my money's worth out of it, almost nine years just after this Thanksgiving..... Which is the longest I've ever owned ANY vehicle that I drove everyday. I moved over to a Saturn SC2 which right now is under the scout knife for an engine cradle replacement which is super easy although it's snowing here....... can't believe it. We still have some trees with green leaves! I hate this time of year...... harbinger of the winter to come. It's not my thing to be stuck inside, I belong out of doors although I'm house trained....

colemtd (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I've kinda fallen off the Rover band wagon, mine is ready for the great resting place in the sky body wise, too many rust spots in critical areas. Not worth my time to repair. I put 100k on it, got my money's worth out of it, almost nine years just after this Thanksgiving..... Which is the longest I've ever owned ANY vehicle that I drove everyday. I moved over to a Saturn SC2 which right now is under the scout knife for an engine cradle replacement which is super easy although it's snowing here....... can't believe it. We still have some trees with green leaves! I hate this time of year...... harbinger of the winter to come. It's not my thing to be stuck inside, I belong out of doors although I'm house trained....
LOL. That's too funny. Sorry to hear you are giving up the Rover but hopefully you will stick around and help the newbies like me troubleshoot problems..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I use the ol eyeball method, pull fuse out of socket - check with eyeballs. In-between the blades of the clear plastic covered fuse is the fuse proper which in a good fuse looks like an inverted "U". In a bad fuse the inverted "U" is missing. Fuse University. I'm not gonna go any further with it's initials........
OK, yeah that makes sense. Just didn't want to have to take the needle nose and pull all of them out one by one. Watching something light up is far more interesting..

ihscouts (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Your right, just like watching you, how ironic.......

colemtd (11-10-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

If you have a "smart phone" there is a cheaper and, imo, easier way to read codes and monitor data supplied to the ECU. It is a matter of preference.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...02/#post581013

your truck originally came with a fuse puller (instead of needle nose). It may be long gone but this is where it started.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 10-27-2016 at 07:43 AM.
colemtd (11-10-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

I am slowly replacing my standard fuses with ones that contain a tiny LED. Now I'll simply be able to look at them without even touching and removing. Could be worth something for ya!

colemtd (11-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Engine Code Scanner and Fuse Tester Recommendation