Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fill plug for transfer box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default fill plug for transfer box?

Swapped the ATF fluid in my 5spd today for 2 quarts of 75W90 oil and one quart of penzoil synchroshift, baby runs so smooth I get a chubby thinking about it. Errr anyways, I don't remember if I ever changed my transfer box oil. I see the drain plug on the underside next to that flat plate with 8 or so bolts along the sides (picture below) but I can't seem to find the fill plug for the transfer box. Can someone point it out to me in a picture? Maybe i'm missing it because it's so dirty under there. Thanks in advance for any help!

Name:  Picture1-3.png
Views: 4856
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its on the drivers side about half way up the transfer case....

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's on the back

Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backside of t-case, at about the 8-9 o'clock position behind the parking brake drum.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

10 o'clock.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yeah, it's on the back of the T-case like they said. It's a square drive, so you may have to clean dirt/mud out of the hole if you've ever had her buried that deep. Then reach up there with a half-inch breaker bar. Run the driver's side up on ramps and you can get an extra half-quart of fluid in there.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a big black bundle in the way. I used an extension that I put over the cable, then put my oversized half inch drive ratchet on the extension and cranked it out a few clicks at a time.

Make sure the square hole is completely cleaned out so the extension seats all the way, spray it good with PB Blaster a few times in advance. While it is empty you may as well pull the inspection plate off the bottom and check out the gears for damage.

There is a good write-up on this forum about doing the inspection plate, you basically reseal it with a bead of RTV on the plate, allow it to partially set then re-install it.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a tip for new owners, get a good creeper and a good light and spend some time laying underneath the old gal studying her. It will help you get to know her and be able to respond better to any sudden problems. If you have not spent any time laying on your back under her, you should. And wear goggles, so you don't go blind. Lot's of nasty stuff down there that you don't need in your eyes or mouth!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
There is a big black bundle in the way. I used an extension that I put over the cable, then put my oversized half inch drive ratchet on the extension and cranked it out a few clicks at a time.
This is true. Reason I didn't need an extension is my breaker bar is pretty flat and fit under the bundle easily enough.

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Just a tip for new owners, get a good creeper and a good light and spend some time laying underneath the old gal studying her. It will help you get to know her and be able to respond better to any sudden problems. If you have not spent any time laying on your back under her, you should. And wear goggles, so you don't go blind. Lot's of nasty stuff down there that you don't need in your eyes or mouth!
Again, quoted for truth.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
10 o'clock.
Actually it's at the 9:45 position....

Quick Reply: fill plug for transfer box?