Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fingernail catches

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fingernail catches

Found this just now in Cylinder 8. My finger nail catches on it. Can I leave as is, or am I in for a lot more machine work?

Attached Thumbnails Fingernail catches-cap.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

You have two choices, re-sleeve the cylinder or find another block.

The following users liked this post:
lrnoob (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Mudding

Ballpark, how much does a re-sleeve run?

What would you do?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I'd have to call the machine shop I use, been a few years since I last priced out that work. Once upon a time I was quoted $100 per cylinder. That was a deal because I had been bringing in allot of heads to be milled. I decided against it, old blocks twist, not worth the effort if it's a Disco. I suggest calling around your hood to find out. It's not cheap.

I personally would be doing what I'm doing right now..... driving a Jeep with a cast iron block.

It all depends on what this Rover means to you, you've obviously torn it down to fix it so it means something. I'd be shopping for a parts truck with a good motor and just swap it out wholesale. Beyond that I'd be buying a crate LS and making that happen. Rover built an ok motor but it's too small and way too failure prone to be even a good boat anchor.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Mudding

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I've always been crazy about Discos, but held off buying one for about 10 years. This one was only $1300, but it's pretty rough inside and out. Aside from the frame....Florida car, not a spot of rust. Bought it on eBay, which was dumb to do. I'm enjoying wrenching on it, even though I'm doing so in a driveway with no garage. I've only driven it a half a mile at most since buying it, so I'm pretty bummed about it all. Live and learn.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Camel Trophy

I owned my Disco for eight years, learned allot because it was my daily and only vehicle. Never missed a day of work in all eight but it was a tough battle to maintain that pace. Too many stupid little things like door latches, fan motor switches, ignition switches, wipers, starter, alternator and blah blah blah. There was never a time when I could relax and just enjoy the drive, always something that made it less than 100%. I toughed it out AND I fixed Rovers on the side because I got that good at spotting problems and fixing them, especially head gaskets. A number one problem with Rovers.

Are you near a junk yard and do they have Rovers? It helps.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Mudding

Unfortunately, I am not. The ones I have visited have very few if any Rovers. That’s why I went the eBay route. There just aren’t many Rovers in this area.

I do enjoy working on it, but I can see how it could be tiresome doing it non stop and never having the car at 100%. I like the prospect of a project, but sadly there’s a limit, financially. And this one needs the works. I was in for the HG and related parts, but this might put me over budget.

I’ve read a ton of threads on here regarding the HG replacement and specifically looked for your responses on them, as your knowledge on the subject was always much appreciated.

I’ll call around some shops and see what the damage will be.

Do you have a CJ or something newer? I’ve always been fond of those.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy

A 2001 WJ, it's a Grand Cherokee. It's a Ski-Doo Summit with a heater. What got me started with Land Rovers was the Defender back in the mid 90's. I subscribed to a performance catalog for off road vehicles and on one cover was a Defender. The exoskeleton around the windscreen I thought was an idea ahead of it's time seeing that I had a CJ7 with a fold down windscreen and a hoop bar. Long story short I picked up my first and only Rover in 08 and learned it well. It gave me lots of opportunities from puking oil on my boots to getting the intermittent wipers working right. One thing led to another and I was fixing all kinds of Rovers and getting paid while enjoying a real full time job on the side...... I drove everything I worked on, some like the P38 Range Rovers I liked, some I did not no matter how much I got paid, the DII. The only Rover that ever got me to swear out loud was the DII. How can you put a steering pump down so low you have to remove the inner fender to get to it? Stupid damn design for a 4x4 which mirrors most of it's other attributes, stupid. I like simple and straightforward, no games just go. Jeeps are that simple, they got it right and stayed that way. The CJ was simple just not reliable, the Chrysler/GM/Ford/AMC CJ was a pain to make reliable. The starter relay was the absolute finest, if you didn't carry a spare or a long screw driver you where not worthy.

lrnoob (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
You have two choices, re-sleeve the cylinder or find another block.

OR....just cut your fingernails.

lrnoob (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Camel Trophy

....and look the other way.

lrnoob (02-11-2018)