Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Finished the rust renovation and new floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but you could see the rust on the muffler crawling under the car??....as i recall you can only see the bottom and not the sides or top.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench

this guy installed a cooler for his transmission sump on his d2.

www.discovery2.co.uk - Transfer box Sump

Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nice Overdrive unit

Slang, I checked that out, here's the page from the company in Canada that makes the cover. They also make an overdrive unit that looks awesome and lowers operating rpm's by 28% for better mpg.

http://roamerdrive.com/pdfs/dsinstal_all.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench

nice. ill do the first bits and see if i need to go in this direction.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
yeah but you could see the rust on the muffler crawling under the car??....as i recall you can only see the bottom and not the sides or top.

I just went out and got on the creeper and did some body surfing under mine to see about getting an answer for you. I can see the bottom and both sides of mine. I reached my hand up and touched the top of mine from the passenger's side. Driver's side is too close to frame.

You could get one of those inspection mirrors to see it or use a cellie and video it or for those really cool dudes that have them fancy little cameras on a flex tube.......

Or if you got under it with it running, any exhaust leak would be noticeable.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Pro Wrench

i bought the fiberglass from a pro auto shop store. they have good brands in general including 3m but i don't know what it was..definitely commercial labeling.

it was two part resin and sheets of hairy fiberglass. you basically rust proof and clean the surfaces, lay the dry sheet down on the hole and paint the resin on in the next ten minutes. you can paint the edges of the whole or parts or all of the surface first to get the sheets to stick in place too. it drys and hardens fast. paint it a day later.

you could easily do the floors. it's super strong. i'm not sure if you would do it different for "foot traffic"...maybe multiple layers?

i haven't yet tried to finish the fiberglass by sanding it but if they make surf boards out of it you can probably shape it however you like. the spots i used were all non-visible and non-support obviously.

big holes require cardboard support underneath. use a glossy waffle box so it doesnt stick to the cardboard. you may need to paint it with the resin again from below later after the top dries to insure a seal on the bottom to avoid foreign matter entering from below. if you did the whole floor you could figure out where to put a drain and be able to hose out the interior....i'm close.

one thing i learned down here is that the boat people know how to protect their vehicles. i've used several marine products, fiberglass and caulking included which work well for my finish of rover.

thanks danny, i can always count on you to body surf under the truck for me!

pinky.....did you start anything. i saw you asking jake for a panel. the last link is a what i used....not 3m but the same components. i'd probably use the other 2 products for smaller and smaller holes too.

<<the middle two pics need to be reversed for sequence.>>

Attached Thumbnails Finished the rust renovation and new floor-196.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-321.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-323.jpg   Finished the rust renovation and new floor-348.jpg  

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 05-15-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, this week I was planning on getting started on my holes. However the damn fuel pump issue is now taking precedent over that.

Thanks for sharing your method for those holes. I have virtually the exact same ones and will likely follow the same process.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Well, this week I was planning on getting started on my holes. However the damn fuel pump issue is now taking precedent over that.

Thanks for sharing your method for those holes. I have virtually the exact same ones and will likely follow the same process.
are you going to cover the floor with sheet metal or anything else?

i also used rustoleum rust reformer spray on several areas of the truck for light surface rust. if it was a hard to get to spot, i sanded and cleaned as best i could and then sprayed. especially inside any cavernous holes to try and get up around the lips and inside. when rust comes back it will come from an inner area. the reformer will slow it. i then covered that with my flat black stove paint. every time i work on an area (like the washer bay now) i clean and treat the area.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Was actually just gonna put the insulation and carpet back over it.

I have been using that rust reformer spray after sanding on a bunch of areas as well

I also got the permatex rust treatment spray for the giant spots.

Quick Reply: Finished the rust renovation and new floor