Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Fresh D1 Build; Need recommendations for lift & tires (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/fresh-d1-build%3B-need-recommendations-lift-tires-88641/)

DavC 03-15-2018 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 640409)
If the diameter is the same how does it have a longer foot print?

Also the Camel Trophy teams drove those trucks with zero cares on damage.

when you air down tires the skinnier it is the longer the footprint versus a wider tire aired down looks more like a square footprint

Tires are quite literally the one item the least associated with damage on the camel trophy. How does them using skinny tires equate to more damage? Saying zero cares is hyperbolic.

FloridaRover 03-15-2018 09:51 AM

Thanks for the response Gents! Sounds like my buddy in South FL has a set of OME 751 and 763 HD springs and Terrafirma shocks that should work

I don't mind doing a camel cut, will take a hard look at the 265/75 sizes, I am running 265/70's on the D2 with no lift or rubbing

FloridaRover 03-15-2018 06:57 PM

This is the look I'm going for at first, I kinda like the factory brush guard, maybe with a recessed winch tray tucked between the frame rails

http://i64.tinypic.com/1zdulx1.jpg

ArmyRover 03-15-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by DavC (Post 640469)
when you air down tires the skinnier it is the longer the footprint versus a wider tire aired down looks more like a square footprint

Tires are quite literally the one item the least associated with damage on the camel trophy. How does them using skinny tires equate to more damage? Saying zero cares is hyperbolic.

I'm saying they didn't care what happened to the truck period. So if you aren't worried about damage then small tires/big tires don't matter, more speed solves a lot.

Still don't see how a wider tire would have a shorter foot print. Do you mean it appears shorter? Not trying to be argumentative just not tracking.

WaltNYC 03-16-2018 10:38 AM

Those factory brush guards are not very robust. I had one originally on mine.

ArmyRover 03-16-2018 11:43 AM

Is it me.or does that silver Disco have MTs on the front and ATs on the back?

DavC 03-16-2018 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 640541)
I'm saying they didn't care what happened to the truck period. So if you aren't worried about damage then small tires/big tires don't matter, more speed solves a lot.

Still don't see how a wider tire would have a shorter foot print. Do you mean it appears shorter? Not trying to be argumentative just not tracking.

While the event is famous for breaking center diffs, axles, rollovers etc., I'm going to disagree with the statement that they didn't care, period, based on what event participants and organizers recounted to me. Some cared, some did not. A lot of teams put a huge amount of effort into caring for the car and felt bad when they had to push hard or broke things. These are some people who before going to sleep every night would lie on their backs and use their hands to scrape mud away from transmission casings and diffs to keep them cool enough the next day. Sure you naturally get more damage running a competetive event with cars that are provided for, but again, blanket hyperbole isn't helpful.

As for the skinny v wide there was an Andrew White video a few years back, best visual explanation that I know of, but cannot find it, thus can't push the point. Essentially as the tire airs down more and more of the carcass makes ground contact, the wider tire carcass pattern an expanding square-ish shape while skinnier gets a bit wider yes, but the ground contact pattern elongates.

ArmyRover 03-16-2018 12:42 PM

We will just have to agree to disagree on the CT portion.

Tires no idea

FloridaRover 03-16-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by WaltNYC (Post 640598)
Those factory brush guards are not very robust. I had one originally on mine.

Agreed, and they pose a threat to the entire front end bodywork if wrecked!

I figure I can find one for cheap and throw it on for the factory look, I don't plan on hitting much with it

FloridaRover 03-16-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 640613)
Is it me.or does that silver Disco have MTs on the front and ATs on the back?

Good eye, I noticed that also

Would like to get another set of Swampers under my silver one