Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel filter question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fuel filter question

So idk who's been listening to me cry about my cold start issues but im gonna bug everyone for their opinion on something. When the truck sits for a while (half a day plus) it really hates to turn over. It's clear to me that the fuel system is slowly depressurizing somewhere. My question is could it be at the fuel filter? I just took it apart to snug the fittings and I took photos while I did. Is this filter a flare nut fitting or should there be o-rings in addition to what's on the fuel lines?
Name:  2d78851e.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  89.4 KB
Name:  a15466fc.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  57f6f058.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  66.6 KB

Thanks dudes. Other than this the truck is hunky dory (touch wood) I'm hoping to get d2 fender flares I just bought on before rausch creek. But I just got my tires put on new wheels and the "correct" tire pressure is really showing how dry rotted my tires are. I'm hoping they'll make it through the winter. Fingers crossed

Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be O rings on there. I see you got some Hellas on the bumper now too!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

just a pair, nothing crazy. I'm sure we can find some more places to put em. haha. If this thing doesn cold crank well, im gonna find some damn o-rings. I'm sick of this thing not starting when i tell it to.
Can i source o rings from a pep boys or do i need to AB them?
Paul is it even worth it for you to send them to me? Probably not right?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM used that same filter from late 80's till recently. Maybe try the local parts store.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

That filter should be replaced at least every 2 years.
It won't cause a hard start and then allow the engine to run fine the rest of the day. My money is on the fuel pump being allowed to bleed back into the tank when sitting.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm entertaining that as a possibility as well, but i know when i installed that fuel filter (sub 1 year ago) that (and i already told brian this) it was pouring rain and i wasnt sure if i had installed o-rings because of the commotion from the rain. SO when i pulled it i wasn't surprised that there were no o-rings. My hope is that the slow loss of pressure is due to the lack of o-rings and a gradual pressure seep while it sits as opposed to something much more egregious that i dont really want to cop to like a fuel pump. So i'll see if i can turn up these o-rings and pray that they remedey my loss of pressure. :::lease god not a fuel pump::::

Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the fuel filter wet after sitting all day or while the engine is running?
If the filter is leaking it will be wet.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't normally replace the o-rings with the filter, they are "attached" to the male fittings and remain in place when replacing the filter. Or should remain in place anyway.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

NO it's not wet from what i've seen but i feel like IF thats where my leak is coming from it'll be really really slight and slow, but i'll look closer tomorrow morning.

Tom- I was trying to show the male fittings while i was under there, it looked like they had a bit of a flare nut piece at the end with a rubber bit collar underneath of it that could have served as the o-ring, just wasn't sure if that constuituted as an o-ring, because brian and paul both told me i should have them.

Here's my hope, i walk out to my car tomorrow and it's ice cold and it magically starts up and the problem has resolved itself by me torqing the christ out of the fuel filter. HAHA, i'll hold my breath

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fittings pictured have the o-ring on them and those are the only seals needed. They typically stay in place on the male connectors and just get re used, you can change them if you like but if they arent visibly cracked or dry rotted I doubt it will make a difference. In my experience the problem you're having is the pump allowing the fuel to flow back into the tank. To help with the starts until it gets fixed, turn your key to III but dont start it, let it sit for a few seconds, turn off and repeat two or three times. That will allow the pump to kick on a few times and build up pressure which typically makes starting a little easier.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter question