Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel pump for a 1996 Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump for a 1996 Disco 2

I've been looking for a Rover and just found a 1996 Disco 2 that the owner said was running great until the fuel pump went out. How hard is it to put a fuel pump in one of these?
For what it's worth, the rover has 153K miles and he would take $1K
What do you experts think?
Thanks,

Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Winching

It could be a risky proposition. What if the owner is not telling you the truth or is wrong on his diagnostic. You could buy it, change the fuel pump and still have problems. I know that $1,000 sounds cheap and it is but if you have to perform a few repairs the price could go up considerably. If its just the fuel pump than you lucked out.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There is no such thing as a 96 D2, it is a D1.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

check out the tech section here...there's a really good write-up on fuel pump replacement. Personally, I think you should find out more about the vehicle to better prepare yourself for a decision.....just ONE considderation would be....if the head gaskets havent been replaced yet, it's likely they'll need to be soon. Also, in the tech section is a 60k mile service list you should plan on doing soon, if you are able to do the work yourself it can save you a lot of $$

Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go look at it. Try to start it with starting fluid. Even with no fuel, it will start for a few seconds on the starting fluid. If not, he's wrong.

BTW, fuel pumps for a '96 are pretty cheap, and easy to replace. Hardest part is the large lock ring, and if the fuel lines are corroded at all. $1k ain't bad depending on the condition of the rest of the truck and what else needs done

Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Fuel pump is ~$150, takes a DIY'er about a hour to replace.
Make sure you replace the fuel filter too, that will take you 30 min to 4 hours depending on how rusted it is, thats $15 at any autoparts store.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
6th Gear

are there any high performance fuel pumps available for the D1?

a guy claiming to know land rovers suggested it as an upgrade to increase performance.

nick

Old 12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fugue
are there any high performance fuel pumps available for the D1?

a guy claiming to know land rovers suggested it as an upgrade to increase performance.

nick
Ignore him. If you increase the volume of fuel, or the pressure without modifying the fuel delivery, metering and exhaust, you will be getting no gains, just a little extra weight loss in the pocketbook. The pressure regulator keeps a constant pressure, and the size of the fuel lines provides adequate volume.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Ignore him. If you increase the volume of fuel, or the pressure without modifying the fuel delivery, metering and exhaust, you will be getting no gains, just a little extra weight loss in the pocketbook. The pressure regulator keeps a constant pressure, and the size of the fuel lines provides adequate volume.
What he said times 1,000.

You can put in a 1,000gpm fuel pump but the fuel pressure regulator will still only allow 32-36 PSI at the fuel rail, the rest will just be dumped back into the fuel tank.
Not to mention that your fuel lines can only hold so much.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Ignore me?

I wasn't telling him to go find a high-po fuel pump. I was asking if that was a worthwhile upgrade.

Apparently it isn't. Good to know.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump for a 1996 Disco 2