Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

fuel pump noise question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fuel pump noise question

Im hoping i can find whats causing my hot start issues along with another issue that happens occasionally. The other occasional issue is when I first go to reverse the vehicle and give it gas it will cut out for a split second and gives a small slight jerk.

Anyways. listening closely today I turned on my key heard the fuel pump whirl and then a "skip" or stop that got closer and closer until the relay clicked and the pump went off. They way it sounds it almost sounds like its supposed to do this. BUT.. The only way for the fuel pump to "skip" or stop would be with the relay deactivating and you can hear when the relay REALLY turns off. So is this normal? Any way to check fuel pump?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

have you checked the fuel pressure lately ? and..can you check it a few random times...by leaving the fuel pressure gauge hooked up ( duct tape it to the windshield if you have to) this wont tell you everything but if there's a drop in pressure or a leakdown you might find it this way. I havent read your other post on this but a clogged fuel filter can slow down the pump, and a out of spec fuel temp sender can give you hot start issues...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i check the pressure often always at 33psi but NEVER when it has the stumble problem. Fuel filter is pretty new. I just heard this noise and wanted to see what others though. Im thinking I might have a leaky injector when hot..