Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fun with my O2 sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011 | 04:05 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Fun with my O2 sensors.

I recently got my 98 D1 and I love it. It has a CEL and when the code was pulled it said bad O2 heater circuit. I got 4 of the amazon NGK O2 sensors for it and today the fun begins. I get under the truck and found that at some point my rear 2 sensors harness got kinda fried. I'm int he process of figuring out the wires and putting it together. The PO knew about this because there was a piece of good harness in the back storage bin in the rover I found after I purchased it. I figured they used universal O2 sensors and cut those out. Turns out they must have gotten that piece at a junk yard with intentions of really fixing it like I am today. I got all 4 sensors out just using a 17mm open end wrench and that part was easy. I got the harness pulled out to the engine bay and I'm now sorting things out.

Wish me luck.

Old 02-19-2011 | 04:47 PM
TReK

Luck!

Old 02-19-2011 | 08:03 PM
Winching

If you need to remove/replace the front sensor wires, save yourself a lot of grief and just pull out the coil packs. Remove the sparkplug wires and the (4) nuts holding the coils in place... I believe they are all 8mm...might be 10...

Anyways, this give you a clear look and easy access to the top of the trans where those 2 sensor wires plug in. Make sure you don't cross the wires... that will cause a whole new can of worms...

Can be done in 10-15 minutes tops.

Old 02-19-2011 | 09:14 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Well I got it done and the truck runs. I still have a CEL but imagine I need to have it reset with a tool.

I ended up with the harness pulled all the way out to the bay and got it all figured out, spliced, and reassembled as close as it should have been OEM. The actual job of changing the 4 sensors is pretty easy.

Old 02-19-2011 | 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by swank1975
Well I got it done and the truck runs. I still have a CEL but imagine I need to have it reset with a tool.

I ended up with the harness pulled all the way out to the bay and got it all figured out, spliced, and reassembled as close as it should have been OEM. The actual job of changing the 4 sensors is pretty easy.
the CEL will shut itself off for soft codes, hard codes need to be reset with a scan tool, but it may need to complete a drive cycle before it runs a diagnostic check again, a drive cycle is just a fancy way of saying a series of speed ups and slow downs at various speeds. usually two or three days of "normal driving" will complete a drive cycle.

O2 sensors are soft codes

Last edited by Rover Chris; 02-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2011 | 08:17 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-20-2011 | 04:27 PM
|
Three Wheeling

My CEL went off today driving home from my Lacrosse game. WOOHOO..

Now to fix my flickering trans temp light (easy to clean up the connections and grease it) and fix my cruise control which i've not started troubleshooting yet.

Old 02-21-2011 | 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench

My CEL went off today driving home from my Lacrosse game. WOOHOO..

Now to fix my flickering trans temp light (easy to clean up the connections and grease it) and fix my cruise control which i've not started troubleshooting yet.
Hey I play LAX too! And I have to fix my CC :3

Old 02-21-2011 | 11:53 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by calebbo
Hey I play LAX too! And I have to fix my CC :3

Yeah I play in a adult rec league for those of us who still are ungood.

We are currently finishing our winter indoor season. Next month spring outdoor starts and I get to break out my pole for LSM.

Old 02-21-2011 | 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah I play in a adult rec league for those of us who still are ungood.

We are currently finishing our winter indoor season. Next month spring outdoor starts and I get to break out my pole for LSM.
Oh I play high school level haha, I'm a mid field/attack. I just haven't played during the winter haha. And we use STX sticks.

Quick Reply: Fun with my O2 sensors.