Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

GEMS Two button alarm fobs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GEMS Two button alarm fobs

Hey guys, I have searched and searched without much of a definitive answer to these questions.
I have a 97 (Build date- April 97) Discovery purchased a couple years ago without any alarm fobs or "plips" as ROTW refers to them as. My buddy just bought a 97 (Sept 96), for a couple hundred bucks, also without any alarm fobs.
I love this truck to death but I'm afraid the damn key is going to break off in the drivers door when locking it. So I have been on the hunt to get some working fobs. I recently purchased two genuine Lucas 17TN used fobs off of Fleabay for a very cheap. They were "tested- working"

There is alot of misinformation online, I believe, regarding these 2 button fobs used with the Lucas 10AS and 17VT alarm ECUs.
Now some of the threads I have read say that you CANNOT reuse key fobs and must purchase them new.
Others say that they have programmed new fobs using a variety of methods on their two button trucks with success (Fob Re synchronization method, 94-95 One button remote programming RAVE method, etc. ) One guy said he just took the negative lead off of the battery for a while and when reconnected, his new-to-the-truck fob just synced up.
The RAVE says you must activate the learning method using a Testbook when new fobs are to be programmed.

If the alarm module can only enter learning mode via Testbook then how have some had success in programming without a diagnostic computer?
If a computer is needed to program these fobs then what can be used to do it? Can I skimp by with a locksmith shop? The town where I live is small and no Rover shops are available. The dealership that sells Land Rovers said they don't do remote programming because they don't have the computer (?). Yeah, no idea how that is working out for them. Another shop 2 hours away said they want 200 just to program my fobs "because they have to pay Land Rover"
I'm a college student, I will do any and all work I can myself on these trucks but 200 dollars and a two hour drive is a bit much for me right now especially If I can do some magic rain dance and call on the Rover gods to bless my truck
Now, One of my friends back home (8hrs) has an Autel Maxisys Pro that apparently can access most foreign cars but we didn't have the chance to try it on the Rover over Christmas break when I saw him last.
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:33 PM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Where are you located?... Add that to your personal info in the 'UserCP' and it will show up near your login name.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Lubbock Tx during the school year, Houston during the breaks.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

See post below, this is for 94/95 years.

HANDSET INITIALISATION
NOTE: New handsets are supplied in pairs.
If a new handset is required, it will require
initialisation to the ECU using the
following procedure:
1. Starting conditions: ignition off, doors unlocked,
bonnet switch depressed.
2. Carry out instructions 3. to 9. within 8 seconds.
3. Switch ignition ON.
4. Switch ignition OFF.
5. Lock doors.
6. Unlock doors.
7. Release bonnet switch.
8. Switch ignition ON.
9. Switch ignition OFF.
If alarm is correctly accessed, horn will sound and
LED will light. It is now possible to programme two
handsets of correct frequency to vehicle alarm ECU.
This must be carried out within two minutes.
10. Press and hold down button on first handset until
dash LED flashes.
11. Repeat instruction 10. for second handset.
12. The LED will extinguish if both handsets have
been initialised correctly.

Last edited by ihscouts; 03-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

You have to use a diagnostic computer to program 96 and up. The above routine is for 94/95 only. You can reuse them

Old 03-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks, been decent if the WSM would've mentioned that...... never used a fob, no need.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

10AS green module was used in the US ONLY on GEMS vehicles. The alarm fob is two button and requires Testbook or similar to sync with the alarm module.

17VT is the black module found on 14CUX vehicles (1994-1995 DI) and the fob was a one button unit. It could be synced without the need for Textbook or similar.

The rest of the world continuted to use 14CUX in conjunction with the 10AS module and I believe (I cannot say for sure because I have never worked on a ROW Discovery) that is where the "spider" immobilzer came into use. The 10AS was able to communicate with GEMS ECU on a much higher level that it could with the 14CUX ECU. Thus the need for the spider. Keep in mind I could be incorrect on this but one thing I do know with certainty, is that no US (or NAS) Discovery ever had the "spider" immobilizer. That was purely ROW.

If you call around you may be able to find a shop that has a dedicated Rover diagnostic system. Something like Nanocom or Hawkeye would have the ability (and for a lot less cost to the shop) to perform most of the Testbook tasks.