Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Gutting a low range lock-out solenoid. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/gutting-low-range-lock-out-solenoid-46062/)

hh65flyer 12-20-2011 10:10 AM

Once you drill out the rivets that hold the plate that the auto shifter screws into it's a pretty straight shot with lots of room. There is plenty of cable to work with on the shifter so it moves completely out of the way. I would think this method easier than trying to pull the carpeting back and cutting/sealing a hole.

hilltoppersx 12-20-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by hh65flyer (Post 288306)
Once you drill out the rivets that hold the plate that the auto shifter screws into it's a pretty straight shot with lots of room. There is plenty of cable to work with on the shifter so it moves completely out of the way. I would think this method easier than trying to pull the carpeting back and cutting/sealing a hole.

i dont have any rivets. i use sheetmetal screws. i would just take the shifter off only takes a few seconds rather then putting tension on that crap cable that has snapped on me once before. i just couldnt get my hand in there with a wrench to get the bolt on the footwell side loose. i will have to try again before i cut the footwell open. although i have seen an access panel there and it gives you quick easy access to everything you would need down there, cdl, hi-lo and the safety neutral sensor.

hh65flyer 12-20-2011 10:43 AM

Hmmm, I was able to get a 3/8ths drive socket and ratchet on there without much issue. They are long-winded bolts though and I almost ran out of clearance between the tool and the floor on one of them before it was loose enough for the fingers...

I agree, an access panel would be ideal there to keep everything lubed, etc.

hilltoppersx 12-20-2011 11:53 AM

yeh ill give it 1 more go before i get crazy and start cutting new holes. lol. thursday i think will be warm enough for me 2 feel my fingers so i will try then.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 12-20-2011 01:34 PM

I CHOSE NOT TO MESS WITH THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER AND WENT WITH CUTTING A HOLE IN THE SIDE PANEL OF THE TUNNEL.

I already had the carpets out and the console out and all that and did not want to risk dealing with a fine working tranny, just my personal preference. I started with a clearance hole, then cut the metal with tin snips, peeled it back but had to enlarge it to get my big hands in there. Upon completion I flattened the cuts out, calked it good, and pop riveted a larger cover piece over it all.

It would be better to make a decent hinged panel or access door that you could swing open and fasten closed. The fuel pump access panel in our Disco's are a direct result of early Classic owners cutting their own to avoid dropping the tank to get to the top of the feul pumpo assembly.

My son did the same thing with his firebird to get to it's fuel pump.

hilltoppersx 12-20-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco (Post 288356)
I CHOSE NOT TO MESS WITH THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER AND WENT WITH CUTTING A HOLE IN THE SIDE PANEL OF THE TUNNEL.

I already had the carpets out and the console out and all that and did not want to risk dealing with a fine working tranny, just my personal preference. I started with a clearance hole, then cut the metal with tin snips, peeled it back but had to enlarge it to get my big hands in there. Upon completion I flattened the cuts out, calked it good, and pop riveted a larger cover piece over it all.

It would be better to make a decent hinged panel or access door that you could swing open and fasten closed. The fuel pump access panel in our Disco's are a direct result of early Classic owners cutting their own to avoid dropping the tank to get to the top of the feul pumpo assembly.

My son did the same thing with his firebird to get to it's fuel pump.

yeah exactly what i was thinking of doing making an access panel. the only thing i would do would be to seal it with some kind of water/grease proof sealant that i could easily cut thru with a blade if i need to access it again, or when out on the trail. i don't want the water coming thru because i do a lot of water crossings.

hh65flyer 12-20-2011 06:00 PM

Well it's all back together and works like a charm now. CDL and Low Range all work as they should.

I ended up taking the guts out completely but leaving the wires in under the cap. Used some permatex to seal the whole thing.

Another item checked off the list... ;-)

Danny Lee 97 Disco 12-21-2011 11:55 AM

Just be careful shifting underway.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 12-21-2011 12:00 PM

If you made a separate cover panel that was larger than the cut out you could either screw it in place and have seals or gaskets. You could hinge one side with a piano hinge and have fasteners for easy opening.

hilltoppersx 12-21-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco (Post 288558)
If you made a separate cover panel that was larger than the cut out you could either screw it in place and have seals or gaskets. You could hinge one side with a piano hinge and have fasteners for easy opening.

exactly what i was thinking. give it one more go from thru the console tomorrow if that fails im cutting