Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Gutting a low range lock-out solenoid. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/gutting-low-range-lock-out-solenoid-46062/)

hh65flyer 12-21-2011 04:04 PM

Are you going to remove the auto-shifter? I don't believe it can be done without that piece out and I know you had some reservations about messing with it and possibly damaging the cable.

Good luck.

hilltoppersx 12-21-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by hh65flyer (Post 288608)
Are you going to remove the auto-shifter? I don't believe it can be done without that piece out and I know you had some reservations about messing with it and possibly damaging the cable.

Good luck.

no i can take it out. i have no problem taking it out been done before. the other end where the cable bolts to the xyz. that trunion nut can get rusty and will snap the cable if too much pressure is put on it.

the last time i tried reaching the solenoid we were on the trail so im sure it will be easier, brighter and more comfortable to do it in my driveway tomorrow so hopefully i can get in there and reach it with a small 1/4" ratchet

hh65flyer 12-21-2011 04:29 PM

This may seem pretty obvious but I had success by going from side to side also. At times it was easier to work from the driver's side then at other times it was easier to be working from the pass side.

Apparently you have been in there before so you probably know the drill and wouldn't do anything dumb like re-assemble everything only to find you have left the heat ducts on the floor behind the front seats. NOT that that happened to me or anything...just sayin'. ;-)

hilltoppersx 12-21-2011 06:57 PM

Bahaha no I have been in there at least thirty times think I can reassemble it in twenty mins cuoholders and all. Just got fat hands and couldn't get to those bolts like I said it was on the trail so I should do better tomorrow in my drive.

hilltoppersx 12-22-2011 12:01 PM

there is no way. just no freakin way to get that thru the console. i tried from pass and driver sides two of the bolts are easy but i had it down to the back corner bolt and there was just no way. maybe i if i had a 3/8" universal but even then i think it might be near impossible. i did notice that it sits alot closer to the pass side seat rails then i thought it had so even with the panel that one back corner bolt will be hard but not impossible at least with an access panel i will be able to get a ratchet in there and have it horizontal.

hh65flyer 12-23-2011 12:01 PM

Maybe your body is much closer to the frame than mine is...like too many Dukes of Hazzard manuevers! Seriously, I just did not have those kind of problems at all. The bolt you are referring to was the most difficult but once my ratchet came in contact with the underbody, I was able to get it out the rest of the way with just my fingers.

Time for the sawzall I guess! In the end your access panel will likely pay off as many times as you have been in there. Now you will be looking for excuses to open it up and take a look around!

Danny Lee 97 Disco 12-26-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by hh65flyer (Post 288409)
Well it's all back together and works like a charm now. CDL and Low Range all work as they should.

I ended up taking the guts out completely but leaving the wires in under the cap. Used some permatex to seal the whole thing.

Another item checked off the list... ;-)

I got to wondering about what you said regarding the wires and began to wonder, if they are still connected, you are going to have 12 volts applied, are they insulated or disconnected to prevent a possible problem?

I would not want to be putting 12 volts to ground with a hot wire.

hh65flyer 12-27-2011 10:30 AM

Thanks Danny Lee, I wrapped each wire individually with elect tape then sealed them to the inside of the cap with permatex. So far it's been completely trouble free and works great. Matt

Fastercat 05-01-2018 09:22 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...22143fb32.jpeg
Do you guys have to remove the low range bracket first to get access to the solenoid? I have a bunch of wiring connectors mounted on a steel plate that seems to be over top of the solenoid