Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Head Gasket the Shade Tree Way (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/head-gasket-shade-tree-way-59520/)

Savannah Buzz 06-23-2013 11:25 AM

I did not put any rtv on the gasket or around the ports. Got it all together, was torquing done the last pass, and #3 bolt stripped out at 40 newton meters (headed toward 51 nm). So the intake and gasket get to come out again, while I decide on helicoil , locknstich, etc. Must have got it started off center from the gasket pressing against one side. May find more stripped when I take it out.

Savannah Buzz 06-24-2013 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Session 17

Bought wrong drill for helicoil repair. Worked on throttle body heater gasket, and found small coolant pipes had a couple of pin hole leaks. More parts to order.

EricTyrrell 06-24-2013 09:55 AM

I feel for you. I stripped out one of the water pump bolt holes on the front cover and had to have a machine shop install a threaded insert. The RAVE should state this job can be an endurance test.

fishEH 06-24-2013 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell (Post 405733)
I feel for you. I stripped out one of the water pump bolt holes on the front cover and had to have a machine shop install a threaded insert. The RAVE should state this job can be an endurance test.

I sheared off one of the bolts on the water pump trying to remove it. Said screw it, slapped a bunch of RTV on it, and its been good since. :D

Savannah Buzz 07-06-2013 02:30 PM

After re-arranging the valley pan gasket slightly, cleaning out all bolt holes for it with a band new tap, drilling and installing the helicoil (generic) in one bolt hole; I was ready to put intake back. I sealed the lip seals, the corners, and around the 4 water channels per Cannibal's web page. Made sense to me, as the valley pan didn't want to line up.

Last time I did this I got to 51 nm on every bolt except one, which I heli coiled today.

Today I got to 51 nm on one bolt of 12. At least 8, perhaps 10, would only go to 40 nm (approx) before loss of tension (stripped out). This included the heli-coiled bolt.

I attribute this to my own stupidity; cleaning out bolt holes with a tap, and perhaps an old tension torque wrench that is not as accurate as it needed to be.

Path "A" would be to leave as is and see what happens when finished. RTV is around coolant passages at front. There is no oil pressure to deal with in the intake manifold, and the air passages are a vacuum, not pressure.

Path "B" would be to remove intake, and purchase another brand of Helicoil for all bolt holes with longer inserts. And a new torque wrench.

Path "C" would be to drill out each of the 12 holes to a new diameter and tap and use brand new bolts of a slightly larger size. Bolt holes are not drilled 90 degree to face, seems "tilted" a bit.

Path "D" would be to use one of the epoxy products, that fills the hole, but I believe most of those are not rated for 51 nm.

Path "E" involves a match and five gallons of .....

What do ya'll think?

CUpgt 07-06-2013 06:12 PM

Path C. And maybe a little less torque

fishEH 07-06-2013 08:04 PM

You sure your torque wrench isn't set to ft/lbs?

ihscouts 07-06-2013 09:29 PM

Where did you get that torque setting???? It's supposed to be 38 Nm, not 51 Nm.

fishEH 07-06-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ihscouts (Post 407810)
Where did you get that torque setting???? It's supposed to be 38 Nm, not 51 Nm.

I was wondering about that too, I just haven't had a chance to look. 8-10 stripped bolt holes, definitely not envying you right now, Savannah.

ihscouts 07-06-2013 09:50 PM

Well, that set some sort of record, that's for sure.