Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Heater issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater issues

OK, so here is my new dilemma, my heater doesn't work on my 97' Land Rover. The fan runs strong, but no heat, where is my heater core located? Anybody have had issues with their heaters that might be able to give some advice? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you sure your coolant is full, have you felt your heater hoses in the engine compartment to make sure they are hot?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Overlanding

Sorry to be ignorant where are the heater hoses located in the engine bay? I made sure my coolant level was full first before looking into any other issues, I even tried the elevation trick, thinking there might be air in the system, I drove up an extreme incline forcing any air in the system up, no go....

Last edited by PhxDisco1; 11-12-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The heater hoses run on the passenger side of the engine, just look for 2 hoses about 1" in diameter running parallel to one another.

Top picture, you can see them running into the fire wall.

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/boschvsgems.cfm

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Overlanding

Ok, thanks Spike, I will have to check those out in the morning. So if the heater hoses aren't hot/warm then what would the issue mainly be?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Overlanding

Ok so it's 1:30 am and I couldn't sleep so I checked out the heater hoses that you pointed out Spike, and they looped the heater hose(s) and bypassed the whole heating system altogether, due to one of the nipples on the firewall was completely corroded. CRAP! I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see what I mean, and hopefully I'm not completely SOL.....

Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by PhxDisco1
Ok so it's 1:30 am and I couldn't sleep so I checked out the heater hoses that you pointed out Spike, and they looped the heater hose(s) and bypassed the whole heating system altogether, due to one of the nipples on the firewall was completely corroded. CRAP! I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see what I mean, and hopefully I'm not completely SOL.....
I think you will have to replace the heater core if there's nothing left to attatch the hoses to. At least on other vehicles they (the nipples) are part of the heater core and just stick through the firewall.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't need to take any pictures, you need to go get your heater core replaced.
So, since you didn't notice something as simple as a by-passed heater core what else have you not looked at, specifically the maintance? That truck, or any Rover will eat you up if you don't stay 3 steps in front of it.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Overlanding

Just getting acquainted with my new aquired vehicle, I'm normally very comfortable around engines, just didn't spot the obvious. I appreciate the help though. Always open for feedback.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First take it to a radiator shop and see if they can do anything for you.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC3135.cfm
A new heater core wont do you any good, the heater core actually sits in the middle of the dash behind the stereo.
So those corroded lines you see are not the heater core, they are the supply/return lines that go to it.
You may need to tear the whole dash apart to fix this correctly.
Or you could get one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-6...9691441&sr=8-3

Quick Reply: Heater issues