Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

Hi guys - Im new to landys and I need a little help - Im heading up the snow in the next few weeks with my kids, 1st Q. will I need to put chains on? if yes which end? (sorry for being SO blonde) 2nd Q when going up very steep icy section of ski road will I need to stay in 1st (mine is auto) and what do I do with the dif lever?? my old 4x4 was a bighorn and easy to drive off road, just not sure what to do in a land rover? - sorry to appear so blonde but not sure who else to ask. thanks for your help :-) FeeFee

Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on your tires, you will probably not need chains, but if you do, all 4 tires need them. This thing puts equal traction to all 4 tires.

Shift the lever to the left on the slippery bits, then back to the right on dry pavement. Test it before you go to make sure it shifts freely. They freeze up if you don't use them.

If you shift the lever front and back, that is low and high. Leave it back in high unless you are crawling rocks.
'
Left and right locks and unlocks it. Left for slippery and right for regular road. Only shift under 5 MPH and do not run locked (to the left) on dry pavement Keep in mind that it will tend to push you straight with it locked. You may want to try it regularly first and see how it handles. These trucks are amazing in snow when you just drive them normally. I usually don't even lock it when we get bad snows here..

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 07-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

When I bought my DI I tried out L and found exactly what discoguy was talking about. Very stiff to get it into L. Now I just do a shift every couple months to make sure it is still working the go right back to high. Keeps things moving.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up

Thanks SO SO much, I really appreciate your help, Ill go off and try it in the paddock today. Tyres are average? certainly not big 4x4 grippy ones? so do I need chains for all 4?
FeeFee

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM
5th Gear

Hey do you think it will damage my truck if I only use chains on the front? - snow chain salesman thinks it only needs them on front??
Thanks guys :-)
FeeFee

Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No it wont damage anything but your back end might slide around.
Now sure how much snow you are looking at but I drive snowmobile trails every year and I have just a all terrain tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnumQDWt_yI

The snow is several feet deep but what I am driving on is hard pack from the snowmobiles.
I have driven through 12" of powder before with no problem and I dont have chains.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up

hi - thanks for that - the snow is similar to your video, but road is very steep and often very icy - hence the need for chains? Also can you tell me if I should drive up mountain in a low gear? in my old bighorn 4x4 I used to put it in low and go but the landy has 1,2,3 and drive? if I leave it in drive will that put too much stain on the auto trans?
This is such a cool site - great for chicks n 4x4's! who don't necessarily know what they are doing!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A auto trans is a auto trans, does not matter what it is in.

I dont know how steep the road is...putting it in 1st is low gear and doing this will keep it from up shifting.
I use 2nd gear when I off road because first gear is to low.
If you put the transfer case in low range that will all most double your torque (power)at the wheels but your top speed will be 35mph.
Bring your chains with you, try different gears on the transmission, try the transfer case, if you need the chains put them on.
And keep in mind its all how you drive it and that the truck requires premium gas.
Not only is it required you will get better mpg and more horse power with it.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple months ago I got rid of my '88 Trooper( version of you're bighorn). That thing was great. My brother is still driving it with 210k+ miles(338k km) on it

Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up

Thanks heaps guys, I will go ahead a purchase the chains for front - just in case and have a play off roading this weekend. I tried the shift and it moves fairly easily, a little stiff, but ok. The bighorn was a great truck until it started having gear box issues!! and that got very expensive very quickly - especially when you have a mechanic that only thought he was a mechanic!!!! haha

Quick Reply: help!