Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help! Disco died while driving now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Disco died while driving now won't start

Was driving home and it just shut off was able to pull off the road but now it won't start just keeps turning over, when I turn it on the battery light and the oil lamp light are on, any ideas?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you try and reset the inertia switch? are you getting fuel pressure at the rail?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Drifting

I have no idea how to do either

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The inertia switch is on the pass side under the hood on the firewall its a black button. press it.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Drifting

I had to have it towed. I'll have the shop try that in the morning, what is the inertia switch and what would have caused it to shut off like that?

Last edited by blaze98; 09-23-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The inertia switch is on all fuel injected engines, its purpose is to kill the fuel pump in a accident to prevent the engine from continuing to run or the fuel pump from feeding a fire if a fuel line broke.
When the inertia switch is tripped the hazards are supposed to come on.
A big bump can trip the switch.
I am betting on a bad fuel pump.
That is a easy DIY job, there is a access panel under the carpet in the cargo area, undo the screws that hold the trim piece on and you will see it.
To check the fuel psi take a dial tire psi gauge, open the hood and on the passenger side of the engine is a schrader (tire) valve, put the gauge on there and have someone try and start the engine, read the dial.
35 psi is what is needed.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Ok I'll try that tomorrow, any idea how much a fuel pump will cost me?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I assume you have a '98, which means it has Advanced EVAP, close to $500 at AutoZone, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc.
Look around on line you may find it cheaper.
Mine was $450 from AutoZone but I used reward points and they beat Advance Auto's price.
It is a 30-60 min DIY job, I beat a shop charges you $1000 for the pump and install.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Drifting

just a quick question about that inertia switch. i was driving down the highway one day when i saw a car about 3 or 4 cars ahead of me lose control and swirve into the ditch backwards. at the exact same time the 3 cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes and as a result i had to hit the brakes pretty hard myself. weird thing is all the doors unlocked and the the hazards started blinking like the alarm got set off but the horn wasnt beeping. i couldnt figure it out and i was scared to pull over in case the truck wouldnt start up again.
after awhile i was getting sick of looking like a retard going 70 down the highway with his 4-ways on. i pulled over, turned the truck off, and it didnt stop blinking until i started it back up again.

would this be a product of that intertia switch or just a really old alarm system going completely nuts?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
The inertia switch is on all fuel injected engines, its purpose is to kill the fuel pump in a accident to prevent the engine from continuing to run or the fuel pump from feeding a fire if a fuel line broke.
When the inertia switch is tripped the hazards are supposed to come on.
A big bump can trip the switch.
I am betting on a bad fuel pump.
That is a easy DIY job, there is a access panel under the carpet in the cargo area, undo the screws that hold the trim piece on and you will see it.
To check the fuel psi take a dial tire psi gauge, open the hood and on the passenger side of the engine is a schrader (tire) valve, put the gauge on there and have someone try and start the engine, read the dial.
35 psi is what is needed.

No it's a 1996 discovery, will that make a price difference? I hope so I can't affor that right now

Quick Reply: Help! Disco died while driving now won't start