Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

help needed with discovery 1 steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed with discovery 1 steering

hi i need a bit of help with my steering ive had it about a year and done lots of welding to it just gone through mot friday i have had a run out in it today and my steering seems fine at any speed in a straight line until i hit a bend when i turn right at a bend the steering is there straight away but it feels like it is trying to pull itself the opposite way and i have to fight with it to keep it level and when i go round a bend to the left the steering is fine apart from it takes about a quater of a turn before i start to go to the left what could this be as its a very scary feeling when doing about 50mph thanks?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.....perfect definition of a run-on sentence.....

What "welding" was originally done to the system?

Did the issue occur prior to the "welding"?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear

just the usual places boot floor sills arches and odd little bits not sure if it did this prior or not had it as a project did test drive it when i purchased but didnt go too far so not sure ?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like the alignment is way off. Have it checked.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I would have expected them to notice such a problem and fail the vehicle. But having only read about MOT inspections, maybe the reality is different.

As Tom said, definitely have the alignment checked. Other less likely thoughts: failing steering gear box, steering dampener issue, traction device (locker, limited slip diff) in front axle, CV issue, wheel bearing issue, and (way out there) a dragging brake caliper.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 AM
3rd Gear

well guess i may have found the problem on the way home from work last nite and guess what ? my steering box has gone and dropped all its power steering fluid .all underneath is covered. not nice to travel 20 miles with no power steering. guess i am gona have to spend more money on her typical landy

Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are many things that effect steering that you should lqqk at coud be bad ball joints sometimes the pitman arm lol who know but you have to check everything sometimes random words you coud be the power steering pump is it making any noize lol idk how about steering box if there is any loosness sometimes you just have to get under their and look around have someone move the weel and you look at everything run on run on run on and then see if anything is leeking the pivot pins can sometimes go bad sometimes its not even stearing stuff but it can be shocks go bad and it makes it feel like you are loozing stiering lol lmfao coud be sway bars to i wonder wy they call them sway bars when they stop sway lol idk lmfao good luck to you let us no so we no how two fix or trucks

Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by benjimano1
well guess i may have found the problem on the way home from work last nite and guess what ? my steering box has gone and dropped all its power steering fluid .all underneath is covered. not nice to travel 20 miles with no power steering. guess i am gona have to spend more money on her typical landy
If it were me, I'd figure out where the leak is first and see if it can be addressed easily. Then fill it back up and see if it will hold fluid and work again. It might be a long shot worth pursuing if the fix and fluid are cheap enough to you.