Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Herculiner'd

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Herculiner'd

I promised I'd post pics, but didn't promise they'd be quality. LOL These are from my phone, I will break out the DSLR and get nice ones this week.

To those interested - I removed the seats, carpet, padding, etc from the D1's interior and herculined the floor. Reason? Waterproof and boredom. My carpets have been soaked many times and the result was rust. To keep it from getting worse, I figgered I'd just (yes, I spelled figured 'figgered') coat the floor. Now I can spill beer, puke, and whatever else on the floor and hose it out.

Tools:

T-50 Torx drive and 10mm socket to remove bolts from front seats. 10mm socket for rears. Box cutter for carpet/padding, flathead for floor plugs, phillips (and possibly an impact wrench) for screws holding fuel pump cover on, masking tape, Xylol, scouring pads, rags, patience, beer, paint tray, brushes/rollers (come with herculiner) and herculiner.

Process:

- Have cold beer for breakfast.
- Remove seats, carpet, padding, and anything else you don't plan on ruining.
- If you're me, remove all plastic mounts for door sills, floor plugs, and other nonsense.
- Beer.
- Remove fuel pump cover. Cuss because the SOB is rusted to **** from leaving a soaked mat/carpet in the trunk.
- Fix rust (if required). I used a mild acid. Rustoleum makes one, sold at pep-boys. Let sit for 30-40 minutes, wash/let dry. It will eat rust to a clean, paintable surface. WEAR GLOVES.
- Scour surfaces where you'll apply Herculiner. Do yourself a favor and get a few industrial souring pads. Regular scotch brites will work, but you'll work much harder. Remember, the better the scuff, the better the stick.
- vacuum/sweep interior.
- Beer.
- Take rags and Xylol the entire floor where you'll be painting. It helps clean. It works well. Wear gloves. Don't breath too much of this or you'll be painting freakin butterflies on the windows instead of herculining the floor. LOL
- Tape off areas where you don't wan't the herculiner.. Although, the Xylol WILL clean it off later if needed. I didn't remove the center console as water isn't getting that far up - and if it is, I'm in real trouble. I taped it off.
- Get all your crap laid out. Herculiner gets tacky after about an hour, so be mindful of leaving the top off or pouring too much into your paint tray. You'll do one coat, wait 1-2 hours and do a second. Be prepared for idle (beer) time inbetween.
- Stir (don't shake) Herculiner well, and pour into tray. Use a brush to apply into corners and areas where a roller won't go. Then roll on the remaining area. This stuff STINKS. MAke sure you're outside or wearing a ventilator.
- Beer.
- Same for second coat.
- Remove tape before second coat gets dry or it'll be a PITA to get off.

I wouldn't recommend expecting to get this done in one day. I removed, cleaned, and prepped one day, painted the following.

Few notes:
- You WILL ruin pants/shirts/gloves. Don't wear stuff you plan on wearing out to pick up chicks.
- One gallon (standard herculiner kit, about $89.00) is enough to do TWO Landrovers. I put 2 GOOD coats in mine and have about 1/2 gallon left. That said, if you can't get 2 full coats on the second truck, you can get one good one, and use the remaining on the 'trouble' areas that get more wear. I'm pretty confident you can get 2 full trucks, 2 full coats.
- Removing the trans tunnel padding will really warm things up. Plan on dealing with lots of heat if you remove all that padding.
- Drink good beer. I don't want to see any dang Bush Light/Herculiner posts.

Driver Floor Before:
Name:  DriverFloorNOT.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  68.3 KB

Driver Floor After:
Name:  DriverFloorFinished.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  92.2 KB

Rear:
Name:  Rearafter2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  74.8 KB

Close Up:
Name:  Close.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  200.2 KB

I'll get some gooder piks up very soon. These are horrible, and do no justice. I LOVE the results.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's awesome. One day....

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool. What about the source if the water? Was it leaky sunroof. ac drains, heater coil or rust thru holes?

My drivers floor looks a lot different than your before pic, but my camera is currently inop.

Are you going to put in some drain holes to let the future water escape or did you resolve the source?

Anyway, good effort & results.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Source was various places. Sunroofs, existing holes, window broke in rainstorm, crossing deep water with bad (unknown at the time) door seals...

Sunroofs are fixed, existing holes are fixed (although currently left open) and the door seals are now fixed.

I regularly get mud/water in the interior and this allows me the ability to 'not care' and later hose it out. Nothing worse than getting all muddy/dirty out fishing or fourwheeling and have to de-cloth to get in the damn truck. LOL no more!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your floors look good man

Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Three Wheeling

did the rear of mine last week too... looks good!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet - I would have never thunk that one would/could use that Herculiner stuff for the interior - Definitely makes sense if you're using the vehicles as the 4x4 Toy it can be :-)

In Peace and Agape,

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Awesome!! I am planning on doing this as well. As we wheel this mud season my floor mats are getting "chunky"

Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Wow! That looks nice.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Mudding

This stuff is beast. I can toss tool boxes, bikes, gear, and whatever else around and it won't budge. I also like the grip. My crap doesn't slide around at all. Water beads up and seems to flush right out the drains. Love it!

Probably not for everyone, but if you're bored one weekend and are looking for an alternative to floormats, cargo liners, etc... give it a thought.