Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle

I'm trying to get this high idle figured out. It's not as high as many have described (1500-2000), but more in the 12-1300 range most of the time. It drops down when I put it in drive to normal idle (700 I've been told?), and it also drops by about 100 rpms when I turn on the a/c. I've been told that if the idle drops when you turn the a/c on it's probably an issue with the Idle air control valve, but I don't want to go spend money on the part if it's not the issue. also, will I need to reset the ECU after installing the new iacv if i do to fix the idle issue? I have also heard that that is necessary

Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

In the end you may need the ecm reset, problem is figuring out what tripped the hi idle

Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TOM R
In the end you may need the ecm reset, problem is figuring out what tripped the hi idle
Yeah that's what I'm having issues with. I'm not the best with diagnosing these things. I believe from what i've heard it's role is in the vehicle (higher idle on cold start, and raising the idle when the a/c is engaged) is making me think that it's the IACV, and that part is only like 40, so I may just try that and see if anything changes

Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Remove IACV clean it and the throttle body, check the valve cover pcv hoses, clean the pcv noodle in pass valve cover, check vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator

Everything's probly filthy if you have not done these

Do you have codes?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay I have not done these yet, but I should be getting to them soon. And I believe I have one code, I can't remember the number, but it was something to do with the 02 sensor (I believe to be because my cats were deleted previous to me owning it and nothing was done with them).

Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling

So I know this thread has been pretty dead, but now I am having a different issue that I'm not sure is related. Now when starting it in the cold (Here in Illinois it's almost down to 0F), it idles very low and sputters like it's going to die. People think I just need to clean the MAF sensor?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Do you know your fuel pressure when running? This is a temp fix, leave the key turned on but don't start the motor until the pump shuts off. Might take two times to get the fuel pressure up high enough to keep the motor running. The other temp is to use your foot on the gas pedal to get it to idle long and smooth enough to remove your foot and let the IACV control idle. You need an ECU reset......

Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Do you know your fuel pressure when running? This is a temp fix, leave the key turned on but don't start the motor until the pump shuts off. Might take two times to get the fuel pressure up high enough to keep the motor running. The other temp is to use your foot on the gas pedal to get it to idle long and smooth enough to remove your foot and let the IACV control idle. You need an ECU reset......
So you don't think cleaning the MAF will change anything?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Doesn't hurt to clean the MAF but I doubt it's THE central problem.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay, I just wonder if it's related or completely separate from the high idle it gets (1000-1500 rpms) when it's warmed up or when first started when it was warmer out in the summer (70-90F)

Quick Reply: High Idle