Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

High Idle D1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 09:17 AM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High Idle D1

After doing some searching in this forum and others, my idle is still high upon start until it gets warm (and started again). Idle is around 1800 cold start in P and N and in any driving gears it slows down to around 1200.

So this is what I’ve done so far:
1) cleaned TPS
2) replaced IACV
3) checked for Vac hose leaks
4) cleaned MAF
5) cleaned Throttle body

I am going to go ahead and change a couple vac lines that look suspect but I don’t think that’s the issue.
My next thing and what I hope fixes the issue is resetting adaptive values in my truck. From talking to people and searching forums it seems like the cheaper option to take it to the shop for this than for me to fork out a butt load of cash for a diagnostic that can do this.

has anyone had any luck with the android app for GEMS to reset adaptive values?

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by doyle1648
After doing some searching in this forum and others, my idle is still high upon start until it gets warm (and started again). Idle is around 1800 cold start in P and N and in any driving gears it slows down to around 1200.

So this is what I’ve done so far:
1) cleaned TPS
2) replaced IACV
3) checked for Vac hose leaks
4) cleaned MAF
5) cleaned Throttle body

I am going to go ahead and change a couple vac lines that look suspect but I don’t think that’s the issue.
My next thing and what I hope fixes the issue is resetting adaptive values in my truck. From talking to people and searching forums it seems like the cheaper option to take it to the shop for this than for me to fork out a butt load of cash for a diagnostic that can do this.

has anyone had any luck with the android app for GEMS to reset adaptive values?

The problem here is the roof rack. You need to remove it and ship it to me for long term observation. I will mount it to the top of my D1 for the next couple of years and see if the same problem occurs.

Great lookin truck. How many miles on the ODO?

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:23 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by stillruns
The problem here is the roof rack. You need to remove it and ship it to me for long term observation. I will mount it to the top of my D1 for the next couple of years and see if the same problem occurs.

Great lookin truck. How many miles on the ODO?
It’s got 180,000 well maintained miles. (Usually) runs very very well. Thank you!

Old 10-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

How does the intake manifold valley gasket look - they usually don't cause the problem but they can if they have deteriorated and leak - also the plenum cover doesn't get a gasket just RTV and that can deteriorate

Old 10-25-2021, 01:14 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by disco96sd
How does the intake manifold valley gasket look - they usually don't cause the problem but they can if they have deteriorated and leak - also the plenum cover doesn't get a gasket just RTV and that can deteriorate
that’s a good idea to look at, I will check those out soon and get back to you guys. Should I remove the cover to check it all out?

Old 10-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

if the vacuum hoses are ok - the plenum cover would be a next check - you can spray some soapy water around the base of the cover to see if you see any bubbles - if you do take off clean old RTV and reapply - the RTV

to check the valley gasket you will have to take off the manifold and you will need a new gasket handy as they can't be reused - like i said this would be more unusual to leak but if the plenum cover doesnt show any bubbles that would be next - not difficult to remove - just double check on the torque specs when you bolt down - I think its 28 ft. lbs but check and the tighten down pattern

let us know

Old 10-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I would quadruple-check the vacuum hoses though... Check the PCV. Brake booster check valve. Basically vacuum like the others have said. Hidden vacuum.

Maybe hose around a little with some propane to see if it sucks any in somewhere and changes operation. Then you can zero in on a location.

Yeah, very sharp looking rig!!! Love the vintage-looking tires too.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

There is a procedure to set base idle on a 94-95 14CUX & 96-99 GEMS. It's in the RAVE Manual.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 187 Likes on 166 Posts

doyle, I think you are on the right track. Get the adaptive values reset before messing with all the other stuff. If the TPS gets repositioned to a higher percentage than baseline, that can cause the high revs you described. It happened to me. Very annoying. I have not used the app you mentioned, I rotated the TPS a bit CW instead. Problem solved.

I think stillruns is wrong though, it's not what's on top that's the problem, it's what's underneath. I'm sure that loverly Disco would run just fine sitting in my driveway!

Old 10-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The android reset worked well on mine. A worthy tool for your collection... Russ

Quick Reply: High Idle D1