Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Home Link

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Link

Picked up a Home Link unit for my 96 Disco at Pull a Part today and am trying to install it, but I have a small problem. I didn't snip the electrical plug from the harness I just unplugged it thinking all I had to do was come home pop off the blank piece, fish out the wires and plug it back up. Well guess what no wires for the home link system in my Disco. Instead there is a flat 3 wire plug for who knows what. Can anyone tell me what I need to make this thing work in the way of wiring. I am guessing all it will take is a ground and a hot but unless I want to make a 60 mile trip or someone on the forums will help me out I cannot be sure. I have the rave manual and I have hunted for a schematic but no luck in finding it online. If someone can send me a link for a schematic I would appreciate it also. This Disco was a roll back basket case when I started last year and now I am just playing around adding some bells and whistles before finishing it up. I am giving it to my grand daughter for college transportation so it won't be a perfect restoration just a good dependable and safe one. By the way it only has 86,000 original miles and she is the second owner. Email me or pm me please I really need the help.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

When I did this to my 96 I ran into the same issue. Also the wires under that cover, although they seemed to have 12 volts, wouldn't power the homelink. I ended up running wires under the edge of the headliner, behind the a-pillar trim, and into the fuse box. I think I may have used a fuse tap. Worked fine eventually. The first homelink unit I got was from an early 97 and did not have rolling codes support. I finally got one out of a 98+ and it worked fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM
5th Gear
Default You are right

You are so very right. Thought I would go ahead and try the wires tonight and just see what would happen. Nothing!! The wires were supplying 11 volts and the unit didn't work. Tomorrow I will run new wires from the block like you did. My neighbor has promised me a 2 wire plug set when he gets home from work tomorrow and he is going to install them. He owns a company that builds custom cables for any application.
By the way do you have any idea what those wires were for that we both tried to use?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats that homelink do again? is it just a programable garage/gate opener?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Been a while since I added this to mine but when I added the map light mirror and homelink, I think I pulled the wires from the courtesy light. I believe there were ones with a couple of different functions but I pulled one that was ignition switched: I did not want one directly to the battery for safety reasons. I did not want someone to be able to quickly enter the vehicle, press the button and have instant access to my home.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
I did not want one directly to the battery for safety reasons.
I used a keyed source from the fuse box for the same reason. I have noticed, however, that the factory homelink in my Acura is powered all the time. I just make sure to lock the doors.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Problem with Rover is, sometimes they lock and sometimes they don't and I gave up checking around to make sure they all lock every time.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Problem with Rover is, sometimes they lock and sometimes they don't and I gave up checking around to make sure they all lock every time.
Isn't that the truth! The D2 is a lot better, but I remember locking my 96 D1 3 or 4 times before all of the actuators would work!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 AM
5th Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks folks, the hot wire from the fuse panel did the trick. I considered using a keyed source but opted for a constant hot to save my having to go dig up a set of keys every time I need to open the garage.

slanginsanjuan all the home link does is open doors or gates. It is just a creature comfort that keeps me from buying another door opener and from sticking something else on my visor.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The other connector is for the self dimming rear view mirror I believe.

Quick Reply: Home Link