Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How to activate central locking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to activate central locking?

In an effort to prove to my wife that my that there is nothing wrong with the door locks in my '96 Disco I repeatedly locked and unlocked my truck. after many times the central locking mechanism stopped working (as she walks away laughing). I read in my manual that locking and unlocking the door with the key 15 times de-activates the central locking mechanism. the manual does not tell you how to re-activate it. Does anyone know how to turn the central locking mechanism back on? Hopefully it doesn't involve the alarm remote (hasn't worked in years). I've tried locking and unlocking multiple times to no avail.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Central Locking

I believe there is a series of steps that must be completed while sitting in the drivers seat...and that re-sets it.

Specifically Section 86 of the Workshop Manual. It states the test cycle, but also states that the only way to over ride the volumetric enabling of the immobilization system is with the "Emergency Key Access" code, which is unique to each vehicle. All of that is in the RAVE, do you have that already?

Spike/Anti/Cosmic or anybody else - is that the same key that enables the radio?

Last edited by groundandpound; 03-06-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
4wd Low

I don't have RAVE; I have the Discovery Series 1 workshop manual 95-98. I've scoured it with no resolve.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I will PM you the pertinent section - the RAVE can be gotten from my sig...
FYI - Section 86 (Electrical) in your manual has this info on like page 4 of Section 86.

However, go out, turn the ignition to "On" and press the "Lock" button on your key Fob. That might do it.

Last edited by groundandpound; 03-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
4wd Low

My key fob hasn't worked in years. Unfortunately the final step in the sequence involves the fob.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Ah - then you may have to enter the security key code in the Radio after you turn it on?

That's the ONLY "EKA" Code I am aware of.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jungle truck
My key fob hasn't worked in years. Unfortunately the final step in the sequence involves the fob.
And I would get that corrected...just having the fob in the vicinity will correct these issues.

Is it just a battery issue? (in the fob I mean)

Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM
4wd Low

The Emergency Key Access code is presumably entered through the stock stereo........replaced that with a Pioneer deck last summer.....Crap

Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 PM
4wd Low

I replaced the battery and it didn't work; i assumed that it just needed to be reinitialized. I never bothered because the key unlocked everything.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry Joel - we have now exceeded my knowledge level...unless you want to figure out re-initializing your fob....don't know if it will when its already immobilized.

Have you attempted to "Unlock" the drivers door 3 times in succession? (insert key, turn to unlock, turn back to "neutral" key location - repeat 2 more times.)

Quick Reply: How to activate central locking?