Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hub (bolt pattern) Options...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badcj8
What makes me wonder is why neither of you read my post??? If you had you would have to ask such a question!!!
Sure I read it. You bought stuff without making sure it would fit the Land Rover bolt pattern that's been used since the 40's. Now you're blaming the vehicle.
It's not like they are close. You can see the difference just by looking at them, no ruler needed.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I understand your frustration with buying the wrong parts, but you can't really blame the Discovery for that. The fact is there are quite a few 5x6.5 wheel options out there. If you must you your wheels, contact EZ Accessories and see if they can make you up some adapters. They already make 5x6.5 spacers so I bet they can make adapters pretty easily.
You are right, it clearly not the Vehicles fault. Land Rover on the other hand makes their crap not fit anything else...lol. I wanted the Wheels I bought, Ultras, to me they are very sharp and was going to do spacers at least any way for a little more width, they made these things entirely to narrow. Any way, when I first searched for the lug pattern and found 5x120 it did not specify any year ranges, just said Discovery 5x120. NONE of the wheels that fit that were anything I'd buy, EVER. So I looked for adapters, found them and bought the Vehicle. Of course then found that there is a different pattern. I explained all of this in my first post but it seems that no one here is a real fan of reading and understanding an entire post.

Well perhaps there are many wheels and tires out there for 5x6.5 but there sure are not any adapter and I have already asked EZ, they don't have any either. Could they make them? Maybe but they sure didn't offer to, simply told me no we don't have any. The problem with that is clear, the 4.5 bold pattern wouldn't clear the inner hub as it is it's 4.5. At least mine measures that much.

So, you are still right fish its not the vehicles fault. I do still have $1200 worth of wheels and tires sitting in my garage that I cant use right now, but I did think a head a little and got them in a Jeep pattern in case I decided to go that way later. So instead of loosing on them and keeping a Vehicle I'm not excited about I'll sell it, get a GC-WJ use them and all will be happy. My Brother-In-Law is a big time Rover guy and wants it so we'll see if we can work it out.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Land Rover Discovery Range Rover Classic Wheel Adapters | eBay

Can't you just sell/return the Jeep wheels and spacers and buy the wheels you need?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Land Rover Discovery Range Rover Classic Wheel Adapters | eBay

Can't you just sell/return the Jeep wheels and spacers and buy the wheels you need?
The link I posted was cheaper.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes me wonder is why neither of you read my post??? If you had you would have to ask such a question!!!
Before we all start arguing and all that childish trolling. He means that he bought them because he thought ALL DISCOVERIES WERE 5x120 BOLT PATTERN. That is all. And they aren't for future reference to future fellow roverists who want to search the bolt pattern on this forum.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Baja

I guess Jeeps must crap too. If I bought a TJ and then bought JK bolt pattern adapters I'd be screwed because of Jeep's crap.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, I read the first post, you bought the wrong wheels and you're made at the truck because you did not do your research before hand.
It's the blame game, you made a mistake, but its not your fault, so blame Land Rover for using the same bolt pattern since the '40's on the tapered bearing hubs.
Now if you really want to learn something, the DII and later years all use the same bolt pattern, so a DII wheel will fit any Rover upto '10 (maybe even later yet, I'm not sure because I have not researched that far), that includes the LR4, Rannge Rover, LR3, everything except the Freelander/LR2.

From the sounds of it you bought the wheels and tires and then the truck, thats putting the cart infront of the horse.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See you still do not get it and clearly never will...

Calebbo hit it right on the nail head, he can clearly read and Understand. And Spike you once again "read into" instead of "read". I did research and found a site that said "LAND ROVER DISCOVERY uses a 5X120 pattern, PERIOD. I've already explained that twice, if you cant understand this then just be confused...

SO, OK good, lets see if I can find some wheels... Oooo no way those were ALL nasty looking, man I wish those Ultras would work they are nice. Hmmmm I know I can use wheel adapters, but do they make any? I ask myself. Oooo look they do, Hmmm but its real hard to find lug nuts that are Large enough but still Small enough and still fit a socket in the adapter... Oooo I found some of those too... And found a deal on line for wheels and tires... Oooo this is coming together. I'll GO AND MAKE THE DEAL ON THE RIDE NOW (this is where you "read into" instead of "read" spike ;-), no worries brother man its all good). Ooooo dude still has it, so I went and bought it... Cool!!! After another 2 weeks I have the dough for everything else, so I NOW buy it...

Is any one else smarter than a 5th grader???

So you see it really doesn't matter if they have been using them since 1840 the site I found said what it said, I thought it as true and moved on. When I went to do the additional lift and install everything I thought for the first time taking the wheel off, "Wait a min, this isn't right" and of course it wasn't. Its not Rovers fault so you can stop feeling all butt hurt that I blamed the poor Rover company... The site I found did not say any years, just strait up 5x120, again Calebbo thank you for being the only one that READ it that actually UNDERSTOOD it.

None the less I've put it on Crags List and will sell it. My brother in-law wants it but don't know if he has the dough. Its got $4500 of extras on it that adds up to more than I'm asking for it, some one will enjoy it I'm sure. I don't care for it, mainly because the seat is so high and I'm 6'3. My line of sight is through the windshield eye brow, I keep fining myself scrunching down, it get uncomfortable. This were for sure not made for tall dudes. I did read others having the same sitting high.

Last edited by 1badcj8; 04-07-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Baja

Calebbo hit it right on the nail head, he can clearly read and Understand.
All he did was state the obvious. Which is that you thought they were all the same, based on some random web site. i.e., you didn't do your homework.
What site told you they were all 5 x 120?
Any particular reason you didn't ask here, or any other Land Rover web site, or maybe just google it, since you get many hits on Land Rover sites with the correct info? disco 1 bolt pattern
Or even easier, go out and look at your Disco wheels and your Jeep wheels (which are close to the DII bolt pattern unless you have an 8 lug DANA 60, which would be the same spacing as the D1) and see the Discos are clearly a larger bolt pattern?

The reason you're not getting a lot of sympathy, which you don't seem to understand, is that you didn't do your homework and bought the wrong stuff. Then, instead of posting about it and taking responsibility for your screw up, you posted about it and bitched about the vehicle and the manufacturer. Even bitching about the web site you used, whatever it was, would probably have gotten more sympathy.

Yeah, it's a bitch to screw up. I just screwed up a master cylinder yesterday, but I'm not bitching about Wagner. Though I've legitimately bitched about two new sets of Wagner drums that were not round.

Last edited by antichrist; 04-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The website that listed the incorrect info, did you buy your stuff from them? If so it sounds like you should have no problem returning it.

Quick Reply: Hub (bolt pattern) Options...