Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Improving stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know what was on my rover when I bought it, but they SUCKED. More than 2 or 3 applications of the brakes goin' downhill, and the fade was horrible. I chalk it up to non-vented front rotors.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Upgrading to D90 fronts on a D1 is a great way to improve it you really want better braking.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Upgrading to D90 fronts on a D1 is a great way to improve it you really want better braking.

Tom,

That is good to know, what is the actual difference in the two?

Spike is absolutely correct, that is one style of safe driving, but it takes the thrill out of hauling *** everywhere, rushing down the road, trying to stay ahead of everyone else then suddenly having to really slam on the brakes..............

I try to drive like Spike says most of the time, but on the Parkways around Pittsburgh, if you leave a halfway decent gap between you and the next car, everyone else is weaving around you really fast, as they are passing you they are already slamming on their brakes before they cut over right in front of you. Makes me wish I had a big cowcatcher front end on an extendable ramrod to bump them out of the way. I try not to even get in that mess................

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Tom,

That is good to know, what is the actual difference in the two?
Larger pad and pistons and vented rotors.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Just another option - stainless steel braided brake lines. I replaced all my original ones with the SS lines from here - http://www.paragonperformance.com/index.htm
They are better now. The brakes always seemed to have too much slop in them. They still have a little slop, but it seems all ABS brakes are like that.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are running the stock rubber brake hoses, they are more then likely shot and when pressure is being applied, they have a tendency to ballon up and not allow alot of pressure to the calipers, so yes, steel lines will help.

As for Speners question and comment, How much fluid did you use, was it DOT4? When the fluid comes out black instead of the nromal burned color, you have started disolving the seals in your brake system, especially. the master cylinder hence not as much pressure going to the brakes.
There are good up-grades for the calipers but you have to do regular 20,000 mile full flushes, replace the rubber lines and start buying good brake pads. I use the Akebono ceramic pads and have great results while stopping on my, nearly 90,000 mile old DBA rotors.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
I thought of doing this upgrade when replacing my brakes, but the cost of D90 calipers prevented that.

I noticed D90 and 90-95 RR Classic uses the same rotors, so would the calipers be the same also maybe?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Baja

I don't believe they are the same calipers.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
1-drive slower
2-anticipate your stops
I used to drive for a living for about 10 years. I hear you.

I really think it is cheap aftermarket pads causing this.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

im using porterfield r4-s pads in the front and akebono ceramic pads in the rear on my disco. they do a good job slowing down the 35s, but usually take a few stops to warm up.

Quick Reply: Improving stopping.