Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Intro, "sort of" a new Disco owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro, "sort of" a new Disco owner

Hi All!

I wanted to introduce myself, as I am now a Disco 1 owner - sort of.

I recently drove a 20 hour round trip to pickup my new '71 International Scout 800B shell, and it's sitting on a 1998 50th anny Disco frame. The wheel base is identical at 100", the track width is a tiny bit wider than the old Scout frame (which I like), and I get all the modern goodies that the Scout didn't have; 4 wheel discs, 4 link, all-time AWD, power steering, etc.

The frame is about 1 foot longer than the Scout body (in the rear), but I am going to notch the frame behind the back crossmember and re-angle & cut to have the same mounting height for the rear bumper.

Anything else you can tell me about these frames, capabilities, things to be mindful of, etc?

Also, I wanted to see if y'all could help me with a few things, as I'm novice with this frame and suspension and plan on pulling the body off to do a full refresh & paint the frame.

1. Wheel adapters. Wheel options are EXTREMELY limited with these bolt patterns! Obviously I'm in a different boat than everyone else here, but I need more wheel options than OEM Disco wheels... I noticed there's no chance to use a hub centric adapter - is anyone using a wheel spacer or adapter, and is lug centric the only route I can go? Could I theoretically change the entire hub for a different bolt pattern?

2. Bushings. I'd like to refresh frame bushings, it seems there's a LOT there. Is there a one-stop shop or a kit I can buy? Also, I definitely need a ball joint for that rear A-frame mount, suggestions for where to purchase would be great.

3. What can the axles handle? I know that the Disco axles are about equivalent to a Dana 35, but I am unsure about what tire size they can handle. I assume 33" is the max any Disco owners use, but would 35" be ok in my scenario, or am I doomed to blow an axle shaft? Any upgrades to these axles I can do to ensure I can reliably run a 35" tire? Ideally, I'd like to run a 33" tire, but as you can tell from the pics, there's quite a bit of wheel gap and I worry that 33" wont look proportionate. The total weight of the vehicle will likely be in the sub-4000lb range, so not as much stress on the axles as a full bodied Disco 1.

I can't post pics (I'm sure I'm in some sort of probationary period), but here's an imgur link of what she looks like now. I'll be documenting a lot of my build on instagram and youtube (theatxscout).

I'd love to hear your advice as I tackle this frame & suspension, and I'll be sure to post more as the build comes along!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Very cool project!
if it’s an automatic disco 1 drivetrain and axles, you may want to regear the differentials If you want to run 35” tires.

I run 35’s on my 90, running stock rover differentials and it’s fine. I haven’t broken a half shaft yet !

Old 04-27-2020, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

As for wheels, you can also run any Defender wheel, including the original Series/ early 90 steel wheels. I have a set of 16x8 steel wheels on my 90. I needed something that wide to run the big tire.

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Saw that truck for sale on the facebook marketplace. Should be an interesting project.

Welcome to the forum

theatxscout (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:39 AM
6th Gear

Today I found a local Defender addict (had four 110 wagons & a 130 truck in his lot) that was parting out a Disco 1. I was able to pick up a LT230 transfer case, shift linkage & shifter, and driveshafts today for cheap and all seem to be in good shape.
Tomorrow I go to pick up a L83+6l80e out of a 2015 Silverado, and those trucks run a stock 3.42 R&P so I don't think I need to bother with regearing just for a big tire. I'll have bigger problems with wiring this drivetrain combo! Also, this Scout will be cruising more than offroading (80/20) and basically zero rock crawling. I think the stock gears will be great for a 355hp/380tq motor.
Mark's
As for the wheels, again this is an IH Scout so I don't want any wheels that resemble a LR, I believe that would clash the wrong way. I'm still weighing my options and I really don't want to hassle with custom axles at the moment, so I may have a custom wheel adapter made so I can open up more wheel options.

I'm glad I am allowed to post pics now! I'll keep updated as the build progresses.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Best use of a Rover yet! How ironic....... if you find a decent LT1 to toss at it we'd be brothers from another Mother.

theatxscout (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:41 PM
6th Gear

My last post was flagged or is waiting for approval, so I guess I still can't post photos (sigh).

So, I am picking up a L83 + 6l80 combo tomorrow, and I'll be getting a 6l80-lt230 adapter to run stock driveshafts (I just hope the engine mounting point works). For that reason, I won't need to regear because the stock 2015 Silverado gears are 3.42, so running 35's shouldn't be a big deal as long as the half shafts hold up.

In regards to wheels, I really don't want to run a LR wheel on a Scout. I think the combo wouldn't clash well. I am leaning towards having a custom wheel adapter made, unless someone has an idea on how to swap hubs without swapping axles!

As soon as the mods allow me to post pictures, I will!

Old 05-12-2020, 02:33 PM
6th Gear

Picked up the motor & transmission, going to be a couple weeks for Nick over at RW-Eng.com to get me the motor mounts and trans/tc adapter. Lots of parts have been ordered and/or picked up, including 35/12.5/17 Toyo R/T's, new wheels, wheel adapters, rotors and pads, all the lights (headlights/tails/reverse etc). and a few miscellaneous items.
Since the Disco frame was about 16" too long for the Scout body, I cut the rear frame behind the rear wheel cross-member and have it mocked up to re-weld it back together with some 3x5 sleeved steel inside of it. I also plan on laying bolts to reinforce the frame where I cut off, for added insurance in case I ever want to install a rear wench. I have also completely gutted the interior & engine bay, taken off the front grill/headlight sections & radiator support to make test fitting the new drivetrain easier on me. The entire body harness has been ripped out & scrapped so I can take the body off the frame and have some bedliner sprayed underneath, and I can't wait to get these motor mounts in so I can weld them in & get the frame painted.

Lots of work done, much more to do!

Old 06-04-2020, 12:56 PM
6th Gear

Hey Y'all,
I'm looking for shift linkage and the passenger frame mount for the transfer case, does anyone know where I can find those parts? I have the in-cabin shifter, but need everything in-between the the shifter & case. Pic attached for the bracket but any suggestions for these two parts?

Some updates though, the motor is in! I used Nick's TC adapter and Gen 5 motor mount kit (rw-eng.com), and they worked really great. The only issue is that the motor is sitting way too far forward, so I'm going to have a new bracket machined to adjust the motor mounts more forward on the block, which will push the motor back towards the firewall a few inches & make room for the fan setup.

Wheels & tires are on, I am really liking the stance! There's some suspension sag from the motor being in, and it's noticeably soft. Once I get close to the finishline and all the weight is in the vehicle, I'll figure out what spring & shock package to go with in order to achieve & keep the stance that it has in this first pic.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:50 AM
6th Gear

Does anybody know where I can find that "L" bracket (passenger side t-case mount)? There's not even a part number when I see frame diagrams online.

Also, where to find the t-case shifter linkage? I have the box that sits on the transmission, but need the linkage/cable. It doesn't seem like a universal cable will work since it has a 4 way shifting direction.

Starting to research suspensions. What would be your suggestions for a spring/shock setup to keep the same stance in the pre-motor picture above (side profile)? Just adding the 700lb motor/trans really sunk the old front suspension quite a bit - so I'm sure with seats, electronics, roll cage, roof, fuel tank, etc it'll drop it quite a bit all around.

TIA!

Last edited by theatxscout; 06-26-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Intro, "sort of" a new Disco owner