Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Issues out of no where

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues out of no where

I am about to take a trip to South Carolina from Mississippi. I did an oil change, washed the engine... and cleaned the MAF and temp. sensor in the air box. I didn't have any issues after cleaning the engine, but after cleaning the MAF the idle went to hell. I took it to a mechanic close to my house. He mentioned a few leaks I already knew about and that the MAF was dead. I ordered one and put it in. My old MAF didn't have the O-ring that the rave shows nor did the new one. I just found an O-ring that would fit to stop the slight air leak around it. Currently I have a few codes, P1193,P0300,P1171. When I crank it cold it will idle up to 2k quickly and fade down to 1 and will stall. After a few tries it will crank and stay around 1. When I drive around there is a 1 sec delay after pressing the gas before I get a response. I've been reading and reading, I have no clue. All the problems started after I cleaned the MAF and put the new one in. Thanks for any help you guys can throw at me!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

You may need to have your adaptive values reset with a testbook.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Drifting

I was reading that it should adapt to the new sensor in about 100 miles, I haven't quite driven it that far. I was really hoping that was the issue. The CEL wasn't on before I started messing with the truck. So it went from no codes to what I have now.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Cody, these are issues beyond what I have experienced

Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience with MAF has always been that cleaning them either does nothing or does more harm than good and a dirty MAF is rarely root cause of the problem at hand, and you run the risk of damaging an expensive part. Your drivability issue sure sounds like adaptive valves, and the 100 miles is a rough estimate. I am interested to see how your idle issue resolves itself, mine is doing something similar whereby on mildly cold (not really cold, then it's fine) mornings it starts with a mighty roar and revs right up to 1700 or so, drops to 1k, then either stalls or almost stalls for a couple minutes while it hunts and surges and drops out before settling in. Ghosts and gremlins man, ghosts and gremlins.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I noticed your tag. Are you Active Reserve at the Gulfport/Biloxi unit or what? FYI I am in North MS. Tupelo to be exact. I have a 1995 Disco 1. I cleaned the MAF with some MAF spray. Spray and let it air dry. No clue on how to reset the values though. Stealership maybe?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Drifting

I was active, I got out about two years ago. My wife is still in, we are stationed on Keesler. About to move to Okinawa... so we either have to sell the disco or put it in storage to die for the next 4 years. I think she heard me mention selling her so she decided to s*** the bed! I actually drove up to tupelo to give my German Shepherd to a K9 trainer up there, because we are moving to Japan.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Mudding

Decent D1's are getting harder and harder to come by, it'd be a shame to let it go. Gremlins are gremlins, this one will get sorted out and then there will be another, it's just the price of admission. It may be impractical but if you pickle it well, drain all the fluids etc, and stick it indoors somewhere it should be ready to roar with little fuss in a few years

Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Yeah my wife and I really love it. She just told me that she wants to keep it looks like the military will be paying to store it for 4 years. Either way, we are about to drive it 500 miles to South Carolina and hope to get it in some snow. I just want it to run great until we are done with our trip! lol

Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Mudding

Yup, you would be kicking yourself mightily if you came back and it was gone and all that you could find was some d2 or something. roll old school. people tend to store their vehicles by parking them and walking away. drain every drop, run cleaner through whatever you can flush out whatever you can, keep it in dry indoor storage and you should be just fine. make sure you get all the coolant out, because that will become corrosive in a few years. good opportunity to drain the diffs as well.

Quick Reply: Issues out of no where