Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Keys

Don't let this happen to you.

Name:  a3a64383.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  137.9 KB

Go to your local hardware store and have a couple of extra keys made.
The Home Depot, Lowes and Wal-Mart will not have have the blanks for a Land Rover.

You need the Ilco RV4, it fits all Discovery's up to '04, Range Rover Classic.
Total cost was $5.07 with tax for both keys.

I got out of work Fri. night, walked out to my truck, pulled my keys out of my lunch box and found the key was bent, I have no idea how it happened.
I had to call my wife and wait for her to come and bring me her key.

Last edited by Spike555; 12-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

And if your local hardware store doesn't have them, drop me a line.

This are the premium keys for Land Rovers. They will fit ALL DI's, DII's, RRC's and Defenders. They DO NOT fit P38a Range Rovers or any Rover with a chip in the key.

Attached Thumbnails Keys-keys.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul,

I could use a couple of those. How much?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

You realize Danny that you are still going to need to get them cut right?
So you are looking at twice what I paid because you are going to have to pay for the key and then pay to have it cut.
If you just buy the key local they cut it for free.

Key Blank - Rubber Head | Land Rover Parts

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd sell you two and ship them to you for as much as AB wants for one without their shipping charges. Oh, but mine aren't genuine, they're premium.

Attached Thumbnails Keys-keys.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike, I actually had the only key(no FOB of course) to my Disco break off; completely broken into two pieces. The kid at Ace Hardware was able to cut me a new key out of the two halves!

I now know from my other thread how to tap in to the system for my first crazy modification; to start going keyless by getting bluetooth unlocking via my Droid.

Those fancy rubber-headed keys would add some street cred. to my Landy, though.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paul Grant

I'd sell you two and ship them to you for as much as AB wants for one without their shipping charges. Oh, but mine aren't genuine, they're premium.
A key is a key, who cares?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do, my Disco's door locks like to freeze, nearly bending the key every morning, the rubber head certainly works. Plus, it's more legit, duh

Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Something to think about is that most of the replacement keys will be nickel coated brass and will not be as durable as the original Land Rover key. Most all of the hardware stores will not have the better keys as they are difficult to cut and will put excessive load on their cutting equipment. If you look at the factory keys; you will notice the consistant color in the cut are but the hardware store keys will have the brass showing in the cuts.

I would prefer the stainless steel key for about $10 but then you have to find a locksmith to cut it for you. You might be able to get one already cut from the dealer for a reasonable amount. I have purchased several keys for '70s and '80s BMWs from the dealer and have paid between $15 and $30 each for them. I had to show proof of ownership and they would provide an original key ready to use in a few days time.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Something to think about is that most of the replacement keys will be nickel coated brass and will not be as durable as the original Land Rover key. Most all of the hardware stores will not have the better keys as they are difficult to cut and will put excessive load on their cutting equipment. If you look at the factory keys; you will notice the consistant color in the cut are but the hardware store keys will have the brass showing in the cuts.

I would prefer the stainless steel key for about $10 but then you have to find a locksmith to cut it for you. You might be able to get one already cut from the dealer for a reasonable amount. I have purchased several keys for '70s and '80s BMWs from the dealer and have paid between $15 and $30 each for them. I had to show proof of ownership and they would provide an original key ready to use in a few days time.
It's highway robbery!

I used to get keys cut for my Hondas and Acuras from either the key code or the VIN number for just the price of the key. Usually no more than $2.50. The last time I tried, they charged me $2.50 for the key, $10 to enter the VIN into the computer, and $10 to cut the key. Some dealers are just getting greedy.

That being said, I do like a key that won't bend as you use it, but I'm not sure the factory land rover key is that key. I know my 96 D1 and both of my D2 have pretty flimsy feeling OEM keys.

Quick Reply: Keys