Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaf Spring Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaf Spring Conversion?

Hey, all.
So I've yet to actually get my Disco into my driveway for various reasons, but I haven't been able to get a good look at the suspension. My understanding is that it has coil springs all around, right?

If that's the case, has anyone ever attempted a leaf spring conversion? I was looking to do a +2" lift possibly, and I figured I could convert it to a leaf spring suspension for the simplicity of maintenance and to have fewer breakable parts to deal with.

The setup on the series Land Rovers looks like it would be very simple to emulate on a Disco. Any advice or insight?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Robert Spence
Any advice or insight?

Yeah, don't do it.

Tons of work, loss of ride quality and articulation. Buy a 2 in lift kit it will be cheaper, easier and last for a long time.

The following users liked this post:
Chad Robert Spence (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the response.

I'm not totally against putting the work in. I realize I'd lose some articulation but I was looking forward to the bit of added lower weight and increased carrying capacity. I also think having the ability to just throw another leaf on the stack would be great considering I may be adding quite a bit of weight over time.

I'd like to make it an overland vehicle and need to replace the front and rear bumpers. I'm going to fab some custom bumpers for it as well as a new push bar, brush guards and guards for the diff/steering components.

Would the coils still be viable? I'd have to go super stiff in order to accommodate the weight I'll likely be adding.

Edit: I'm also a welder and I think it'd be a blast to take on this project, I can't find a Disco that's ever had this conversion done to it.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

they sell coils uprated for the additional weight you might add.

Let's be honest the reason you don't see people doing it, is:

1. properly designing the mounts for the springs to frame
2. spring mounts to axle
3. finding a correct spring to fit the vehicle and it's weight, while not compromising handling(safety) can be a tough nut to crack. It's not like you can toss series parabolic springs on it and have it work properly.
4. Making the Disco less capable, with loss of articulation and clearance
5. Possible steering issues with linkage routing and removal of the front radius arm suspension set up.

Last but not least one of the things that make these trucks so good is the coil spring set up why neuter it. If you are a welder and have the chops build a good three link for it put some coil overs on it. Improve the truck move it forward, don't take 2 steps back.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-08-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Robert Spence
.....I can't find a Disco that's ever had this conversion done to it.
......and allot of fabrication for huge non-improvement. There's a reason, actually several why it's not been done, but hey you don't have it yet. Your not the only fabricator here, I can think of two of us that definitely would love to hear your answer to your own question cuz then we'll know what you know. Fair enough?

Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Camel Trophy

A few tungsten carbide tips to add to Army's bullets -

Frame thickness.

Frame geometry.

Body mounts.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ihscouts
......and allot of fabrication for huge non-improvement. There's a reason, actually several why it's not been done, but hey you don't have it yet. Your not the only fabricator here, I can think of two of us that definitely would love to hear your answer to your own question cuz then we'll know what you know. Fair enough?
I'm not giving any answers, just asking questions. I'm trying to fully understand, not disagree with what anybody is saying.

I appreciate you guys taking your time to explain it to me, I agree that it does actually sound like way more trouble for what's sounding like a serious downgrade.

Thanks for the advice, ArmyRover, you definitely know what you're talking about!
I'll look into the three-link setup, might as well go with something that'll help for sure than try to make something original and gimmicky. Hah

Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Camel Trophy

What I meant was when you have it and had time to seriously look it over you'll know why it hasn't been done. You'll have the answer to your question.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 AM
7th Gear

Ah, I get yah.
I imagine it'll be pretty obvious based on what you guys have said.
I've only got a bit of suspension knowledge regarding cars so far, it's a whole new world now. Haha
Thanks for clarifying though, I misunderstood.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Your best bet is to give the guys at Lucky 8 a call and tell them what kind of weight you'll be adding, so they can set you up with the right spring package.

Contact links are in my signature.

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Conversion?