Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Looking for CDL success stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013 | 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
Not yet, its not hard to get to. I'm focused on making her run right. Still don't have good tires.
The CDL will get you further than good tires. 33" MTs are worth a crap when only one of them is spinning! Anything more than a moderate trail becomes very difficult without the CDL locked. And, ill be damned if I'm laying on the ground under my truck with a wrench to lock/unlock the CDL. Mine was not functioning and it was the plastic bushing on the shaft that broke. I pulled it out, replaced the bushing (real PITA to get it on the shaft) and greased everything back up and had it together in an afternoon. Works flawlessly.

Old 12-17-2013 | 08:53 PM
|
Three Wheeling

^^^^What CUpgt said! Looking for CDL success stories-image-152864153.jpg

Old 12-17-2013 | 08:58 PM
|
Three Wheeling

The link that Green Machine posted is what I already have printed off and ready for when I decide to go at this. So far the brut-force method has made little difference so onto the next method, center console out etc.

Old 12-17-2013 | 09:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by scottmb23
^^^^What CUpgt said! Attachment 19112

I dunno how much the CDL will help in that situation! LOL. Are you resting on your passanger side? If not thats one hell of a pucker factor lean right there.

Old 12-17-2013 | 09:25 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The CDL will get you further than good tires. 33" MTs are worth a crap when only one of them is spinning! Anything more than a moderate trail becomes very difficult without the CDL locked. And, ill be damned if I'm laying on the ground under my truck with a wrench to lock/unlock the CDL. Mine was not functioning and it was the plastic bushing on the shaft that broke. I pulled it out, replaced the bushing (real PITA to get it on the shaft) and greased everything back up and had it together in an afternoon. Works flawlessly.
Its not that hard to reach, I can reach it with my hand, I kept the u-shaped link. I don't feel like taking the center con out.

Old 12-17-2013 | 09:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Sam95disco
Its not that hard to reach, I can reach it with my hand, I kept the u-shaped link. I don't feel like taking the center con out.
Can you still shift your TC from Hi to Lo with the lever? I can't count how many times I've locked/unlocked my CDL mid trail, or went back and forth from Hi to Lo.
I'd rather take my center console out once than lay in the mud/dirt/snow repeatedly.

Old 12-17-2013 | 11:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
Can you still shift your TC from Hi to Lo with the lever? I can't count how many times I've locked/unlocked my CDL mid trail, or went back and forth from Hi to Lo.
I'd rather take my center console out once than lay in the mud/dirt/snow repeatedly.
What Brett said

Old 12-18-2013 | 06:58 AM
Baja

I was able to work mine so it did high low but was always hard, ended up removing console and CDl shifter, had to beat the shifter apart with a hammer and brass drift , the left /right movement was rusted/seized solid, ran parts on fine wire wheel grease and reassembled now shifts with super ease in all directions

Old 12-18-2013 | 08:31 AM
Winching

Yes, I can still shift and its not hard to move it. One day I'll get to it, she has other issues to work on.

Old 12-18-2013 | 09:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUpgt
What Brett said

Amen... Having a working CDL is a must... The only reason I let my wife's '97 go so long was we have two other 4x4's and a 6x6 if we really need to get somewhere. The '97 won't even make it to our barn without making a rutty mess from spinning. The '96 with the diff locked will usually only leave tread marks.....

Quick Reply: Looking for CDL success stories