Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Lug Nut Cap Removal Tool (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/lug-nut-cap-removal-tool-49120/)

jeff spahn 04-19-2012 10:16 AM

Lug Nut Cap Removal Tool

1 Attachment(s)
I have designed a lug nut cap removal tool. I will be happy to lend it out to anyone as long as they return it when done.
You merely put the lug nut in a socket, put a small socket on the end of the pin (you provide this) to keep from pushing the pin through the end of the cap and also provide a swivel.
Hold the socket containing the lug nut and drive bolt with the pin into the lug nut with an impact gun. Takes the cap off in about 2 seconds.

PM me if you want to borrow it. I'll ship it to you if you promise to send it back.

Attachment 9682

wheelgarage 04-19-2012 10:42 AM

That thing looks just like the bolt for a chain breaker....

slanginsanjuan 04-19-2012 10:48 AM

dont need it but thanks jeff.

hope you get some good karma.

jeff spahn 04-19-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by wheelgarage (Post 314393)
That thing looks just like the bolt for a chain breaker....

Nope, had it custom made at a machine shop.

Jake1996D1 04-19-2012 11:59 AM

Why remove the cap? Then they look funny

I dont get how everybody screws these things up I had them for a year with no problem before I switched to steel rims and lugs..

It's not rocket surgery...

Chris-bob 04-19-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 314427)
Why remove the cap? Then they look funny

I dont get how everybody screws these things up I had them for a year with no problem before I switched to steel rims and lugs..

It's not rocket surgery...

It's the tire shops/roadside assistance that screw them up. Then when the new guy gets the Disco, and starts DIY repairs, he/she finds buggered up lug nut caps. Easiest fix is to remove caps and wait till the funds are available for new ones if you want new ones.

jeff spahn 04-19-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob (Post 314429)
It's the tire shops/roadside assistance that screw them up. Then when the new guy gets the Disco, and starts DIY repairs, he/she finds buggered up lug nut caps. . . snip

Exactly.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-19-2012 12:41 PM

That is why I got the solid capless ones like were used on a RRC.

Jake1996D1 04-19-2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob (Post 314429)
It's the tire shops/roadside assistance that screw them up. Then when the new guy gets the Disco, and starts DIY repairs, he/she finds buggered up lug nut caps. Easiest fix is to remove caps and wait till the funds are available for new ones if you want new ones.

Guess I got lucky? If you go to a tire shop that doesnt know how to take off and put on a lug nut you likely have bigger issues.

You can get the from most parts guys cheap. Hell I actually still have all of mine if anybody needs some :D

fishEH 04-19-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 314446)
Guess I got lucky? If you go to a tire shop that doesnt know how to take off and put on a lug nut you likely have bigger issues.

You can get the from most parts guys cheap. Hell I actually still have all of mine if anybody needs some :D

I worked on a D1 last night that had some really boogered nuts. The 27mm wasn't even close. Nor.was the 1-1/16". Had to use a 1-1/8" socket, which was just a touch sloppy. Didn't want to use my impact with them being that bad. I forgot how much removing lugs by hand sucked. :)