Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Lug Nuts

I would very much like to meet the guy who decided a stainless cap over the lug nuts was a good idea.

I am unable to get the off my car due to the low intelligence workers at tires shops gone by that used improper sized impact sockets to remove the nuts.

I am now forced to make blooming onions on the car to get to the socket underneath. I found the video on the forum on how to remove the caps using two bolts and a socket. I will be doing that this weekend.

If I ever meet this guy, I have something to shove up his a$$ to remind him of the wonderful idea he had oh so long ago.
Lug Nuts-onion.jpg

Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow..

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fail. Glad you finally got it out.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may run into other parts you dislike as well. no doubt, this change should be part of an XXXX miles sticky. just replaced all of mine but the cap removal is a sensible thing to do on the cheap or as a temp solution.

getting stuck on the side of the road in a compromising situation would be bad. a la any of the Vacation movies could be scary...or funny.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Road Trip To Wally World comes to mind, The Griswolds on Vacation.

YOU CAN TAKE A SOCKET THAT IS SLIGHTLY SMALLER AND POUND IT ON THE TAKE THEM OFF. That is easier than trying to cut them off.

I bought the solid lug nuts that were used on the earlier RR Classics. And a 4 way lug wrench from Advance. It is mounted with meatal spring clips on the rear wall of mine.

With the 4 way, you can get plenty of force to break loose tight nuts or tighten as needed.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
YOU CAN TAKE A SOCKET THAT IS SLIGHTLY SMALLER AND POUND IT ON THE TAKE THEM OFF.
..yup with two guys and six feet of pipe on a breaker bar.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Overlanding

I had this problem... I bought a X style tire iron from Sears for $25. Pulled all 5 wheels this weekend. It was..... enlightening how much a pain in the *** lug nuts could be. Thanks to this site I knew what I was in for.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by lifeguard17
I had this problem... I bought a X style tire iron from Sears for $25. Pulled all 5 wheels this weekend. It was..... enlightening how much a pain in the *** lug nuts could be. Thanks to this site I knew what I was in for.

I like my four way. You can hunker down and really get a lot of force if needed. I really recommend them over the stock lug wrench or a socket and ratchet or regular breakr bar. Some guys also carry a cordless rechargable impact wrench. One of the hammer driven impact wrenches could also be used or like Slang said, a 6ft breaker bar and two boys.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow. This explains alot. When I got my Rover- the lug nuts looked like what you are peeling out there. The solid steel center with the hole. I could'nt figure out why my lug wrench would'nt fit. Rovers North gave me a nice deal on a Proline carset. These are giant, machine milled, cad plated buggers that still look great through repeated removal and a Cape Cod winter. Glad I only had to change them and not excavate them.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by black sheep
Wow. This explains alot. When I got my Rover- the lug nuts looked like what you are peeling out there. The solid steel center with the hole. I could'nt figure out why my lug wrench would'nt fit. Rovers North gave me a nice deal on a Proline carset. These are giant, machine milled, cad plated buggers that still look great through repeated removal and a Cape Cod winter. Glad I only had to change them and not excavate them.

That must be a new offering from RN. How much were they? Got any pics of them installed?

The original ones usually get damaged from the tire shop guys and their air hammers combined with using one that is a little too big to really fit so it pounds the hell out of them and deforms them to the point of the correct wrench not fitting.

I highly reccommend the 4 way lug wrench as the crossbars give you excellent torque, be sure to get on that includes the 1 1/16 inch as that is what the lugs are supposed to be.

Also look at the construction of the 4 way. If it is poorly made where the two bars intersect, you could concieveably have a failure at that point. A well made one shopuld last you the life of the vehicle.

I saw a real nice older street rod at a car show that someone had done the interior of the trunk in wood and had the spare and a chromed 4 way spinner lug wrench mounted in recesses made for it.

I just bought 4 spring clips and attached them to the rear side (Naked) wall right behind the 50 caliber ammo box.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts