Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Mercedes Diesel Engine....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mercedes Diesel Engine....

would it fit? I found the block with some of the accessories (like water pump, vac pump, oil lines, brackets, etc.) for 80 bucks, although it does not have pistons or rods, but still 80 bucks seems like a pretty decent deal (plus I would try to talk them down some). Just curious. It is the 1984 300SD 617 diesel engine. I looked at the specs for this but can't find dimensions. Looks like 120 hp and 170 ft-lb torque. I know this comes up all the time and I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I really am thinking that in about a year or two I am going to take this leap and try to convert to a diesel. I am pretty convinced I would like to either go with an Isuzu or cummins 4bt. So let the opinions fly!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i hear its the adapter and the computers that make this worthless

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The cost to convert a perfectly good running Rover to diesel is to high, but if it was your weekend go out and beat it ride and you can afford for it to be down for awhile go for it.

I do not know if the MB diesel would fit or not.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not cheap, but easiest way to go is a TD5 or 300 series TD out of a non-us spec discovery.

If custom fabbing stuff, I would start with a BMW M67 3.9L V8 turbodiesel. 240hp and 413 lb/ft of torque out of an engine similar sized to stock.

And yes, that would be too much for stock drivetrain.
http://www.bmwheaven.com/database/engine.php?type=M67

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by kenk
And yes, that would be too much for stock drivetrain.
http://www.bmwheaven.com/database/engine.php?type=M67
No kidding. That would chew up the drivetrain and spit it out and never look back. Can you imagine that power in a Disco? That would be a sweet start to a serious expedition rig. Man oh man. I guess I need to look into the LR diesels some more. I just am not real fond of these rover engines so I am afraid that outside of the simplicity of the swap with an LR diesel it would be useless. I realize that the LR diesel is better than the V8 gas but still......I worry. Spike, Spike, Spike. We have had this discussion before lol. I definitely see your point. And for now my gas V8 is fine but I realize that to ramp up to some better mpg, more torque, and more hp you gotta get away from these V8 underpowered gas hogs. I have had to many diesels for years now and going back to a gas engine was very hard. I just can't afford a Defender or I would be in hog heaven lol. Just looking at that block I think it is too long. The 84 mercedes had a boat for the front end. Anyway......the dream continues.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt the MB diesel would fit or be pratical. The reason I say this is because the President of our local Land Rover Owners group has both a Discovery and a Series II and an early 80's MB300 diesel.

If the diesel would fit in the Discovery, I am sure he would have already swapped it in. His plans for the MB is to convert it to run on used vegetable oil, he just has not gotten around to doing that yet.

However, if you can get the block and stuff for 80 bucks, that would still be a bargain to grab it and rebuild it. They supposedly can get several hundred thousand miles out of those engines. There are many of them out there still running strong with 250,000 to 500,000 mil;es on them, some even more.

Another issue you may run into would be emissions controls if your state requires emissions testing since your vehicle is titled as a 96. All 96 and newer fall under emission controls. Pre-95 do not, at least here in PA. I think most other states that do still require it are the same, 96 and newer, pre 96 are exempt.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Winching

Texas only has a few counties where emissions testing is required and I can just get it done outside one of those so emissions is not a problem. Plus there i no emissions testing for diesels anywhere in Texas. I agree that it won't fit. Like I said, the longer I looked at it the more I thought it was too long. Oh well. No big deal.

I have been looking at these guys for awhile now.

http://www.disco-tech.ca/engines/#isuzu

I think 5,500 for a brand new diesel engine is not too bad, but then you get the rest of the kit and the price jumps to 7,500 Ouch! Anyway, if they come down a little I would probably just go that route. A brand new diesel and I could hand this truck down to my son when he gets old enough to drive (he is 7 now lol).

Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes we have had this discussion before, I think it would be great if it could be done cheap enough.
I am thinking about it once my engine lets loose, but I still dont know.
One thing that worries me is if MI goes the way of other states and adds emissions testing later down the road then what?
I put the time and money into a diesel swap only to have to rebuild the V8 and put it back in later?
I just dont know, yes the MPG would be great, but where do I buy parts that I can afford and not wait weeks for them to be shipped from Europe?
And the whole planing ahead thing...I see emissions testing for all 50 states being mandatory in the future.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does it fit?

Discomedic, your question was does it fit, answer is yes.
Take a look at this current project in Victoria BC discussed in the Rover Landers of BC web site.
http://www.roverlanders.bc.ca/
1) Go to web forum – projects & builds – Diesel swap OM617 into a Disco
Note the problem of the oil pan resting on the Disco front dif, needed a new oil pan.
2) Go to Technical Articles – Mercedes Diesel in a Land Rover discussion
Note that in comparison the Mercedes is quieter but ear plugs are cheap.

I bought my 98 D1 for a 10 year ownership; but my experience with the V8 is how many weeks until the next big repair is due. An option is to take over someone’s lease on a LR3 at $1200 / month for 24 months = $28,000 for reliability and you own nothing at the end. My choice is to invest in a diesel swap in the Disco and enjoy it for 10 years. The diesel swap is the cheaper option.

The following users liked this post:
nfld88 (04-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LR engine

Land Rover Diesel engines
Check these web sites out for comparison
1) http://landroverimport.com/contact.html
Also see the used rebuilt Defenders for sale - $20,000 made just for you.
2) http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-7...ong-block.aspx

Quick Reply: Mercedes Diesel Engine....