Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Morning Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Morning Starting Issue

Hi,

In the last couple of weeks my '97 Disco has been having a morning starting issue. When I first turn it over, it seems like it isn't getting enough fuel (kind of sputters a little bit and then dies). On the second attempt, it fires right up.

Once it has started up, it runs fine and the problem does not happen again during the day, even after sitting in a parking lot for 9 hours while I'm at work.

The temps here have been dropping into the mid 50s in the morning, so not cold, but cool. It is parked in an insulated garage overnight.

Fuel filter was changed a couple of times in the last 4 years, and the truck has only had about 15K put on it in that time.

Fuel filter needs replacing again?

Something else?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im smelling fuel pump? Just a guess. Try checking fuel pressure.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem on a Jeep for a while. Try this as a first troubleshooting step and see if it acts any different:
When you go to start it, turn the key to the on position, but don't turn all the way to start. This is when all the dash lights come on, etc. The fuel pump should run for a few seconds and push a little fuel into the lines. Once you've given it about 5 seconds or so to prime the system, go ahead and try to start it.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
I had this same problem on a Jeep for a while. Try this as a first troubleshooting step and see if it acts any different:
When you go to start it, turn the key to the on position, but don't turn all the way to start. This is when all the dash lights come on, etc. The fuel pump should run for a few seconds and push a little fuel into the lines. Once you've given it about 5 seconds or so to prime the system, go ahead and try to start it.
THIS ^

is what I meant to say

Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What brand and grade of gas are you using?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always used Chevron premium.

I also thought it might start more normally if I waited for the fuel pump to prime the system before starting, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. This only happens in the morning, which seems odd to me since it sits for about the same amount of time while I'm at work, and it doesn't hesitate then.

I'm planning on swapping the filter this weekend anyway, so I can at least eliminate that as a possibility.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you first come out, open the gas cap and see if it held pressure overnight (before you attempt to start it). If everything is good, it should still be pressurized from the night before, If you don't have a good hiss when you crack the cap open, I would look for a problem in the fuel lines/fuel pump area.

Mine acted like that, there was a hairline crack in the return line at the top of the fuel pump housing, pressure would leak down overnight, fuel pump was working but system did not hold the pressure due to the crack/leak.

I ended up replacing fuel pump assembly and fuel lines all the way to the engine bay. When I started lifting the old fuel line from the clamps securing the line to the frame, several pin hole leaks sprang where lines were corroded to the clamps. Fuel filter clamp had completely rusted away, fuel filter also sprang a pinhole leak. Gas sprayed/leaked in several locations.

If you look at my photo albums there are pics of all this.

With new fuel pump assembly and new fuel lines, I get a very loud hiss when I crack the cap open on the gas tank. Very noticeable difference from the old one.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling

This is what finally solved my problem:
FOR SALE

But I don't recommend taking that approach with your Disco.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpChuck
This is what finally solved my problem:
FOR SALE

But I don't recommend taking that approach with your Disco.

Sell it yet? What was the final straw?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Had it sold in about 12 hours from posting it on CL, last month.
The final straw was that I found a nice Disco and needed money to buy it with! So long, Jeep!

Quick Reply: Morning Starting Issue