Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My first Discovery (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very interesting about the front lockers and what you all do. Always interesting to hear new things and ideas and different things people do. My question is then why do new auto manufacturers outside of the Jeep Rubicon which has front and rear lockers seem to only put in rear lockers in their new vehicles and don't offer front lockers as an option. Examples would be Toyota FJ's, 4-Runners, GM pick-ups, the HD LR-3 option, etc. They only offer the rear E-locker. They don't offer a front locker alone option.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
That is very interesting about the front lockers and what you all do. Always interesting to hear new things and ideas and different things people do. My question is then why do new auto manufacturers outside of the Jeep Rubicon which has front and rear lockers seem to only put in rear lockers in their new vehicles and don't offer front lockers as an option. Examples would be Toyota FJ's, 4-Runners, GM pick-ups, the HD LR-3 option, etc. They only offer the rear E-locker. They don't offer a front locker alone option.

You definately bring up a good point. I guess the reason most of the guys I used to ride with all had Detroit lockers in the front so they could unlock hubs/ disconect the front axle for driving on the street without having to deal with the locker ratcheting and jumping on dry roads. We were also running limited slip in the back for the same reason (streetable). I know the new Super Dutys have the E-lockers in the rear but as soon as you go 25+ mph it disengages them????? I cant figure that one out. But I will say nkw that I have ARB's ill never go back to a non switchable locker again, its so nice to just flip the switch and go.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the suggestions on tires guys.

Also, very interesting thoughts on front or rear locker placement. I just assumed the previous owner blew the front diff us some how and decided to upgrade while having the repairs done.

Lastly, my Discovery has a strong wheel shake when only the driver's front tire runs over a bump, at highway speed, of the right size. Finding smooth highway makes it go away. Sometimes I have to pull over to a complete stop the oscillation.

In doing search after search on this forum I checked the swivel ball for play and there was none. The steering stabilizer has been replaced with a pro-comp shock as well as all 4 corners. There is no ball joint or linkage play what so ever. The steering box has minimal play. The bushings look aged but they don't have excessive movement. Is it worth a try to replace them. Also, I thought the old tires it came with contributed to this so my friend gave me the take-off tires from his jeep. It helped somewhat but it not completely gone.

Any ideas?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Drifting

I just did the same thing! Sold my E30 convertible (German import) to buy a D1 and I couldn't be happier! Welcome to the club!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Guns & Rovers...

Originally Posted by Geoff.t

Lastly, my Discovery has a strong wheel shake when only the driver's front tire runs over a bump, at highway speed, of the right size. Finding smooth highway makes it go away. Sometimes I have to pull over to a complete stop the oscillation.

In doing search after search on this forum I checked the swivel ball for play and there was none. The steering stabilizer has been replaced with a pro-comp shock as well as all 4 corners. There is no ball joint or linkage play what so ever. The steering box has minimal play. The bushings look aged but they don't have excessive movement. Is it worth a try to replace them. Also, I thought the old tires it came with contributed to this so my friend gave me the take-off tires from his jeep. It helped somewhat but it not completely gone.

Any ideas?
If you're planning on rocky trails and rough country, you may want to change out those pro-comps sometime when the budget allows... there are far better alternatives out there. Also, definitely replace the worn bushings... As I'm sure you know, what may seem to be tight at a stand still, can really loosen up under load. Any small play can contribute to, as it is known 'round here, "death wobble". That term in the search feature may yield some more results for you.

Good Luck

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your panhard bar bushings they seem to be a problem with these trucks getting death wobble.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by srbaker
I just did the same thing! Sold my E30 convertible (German import) to buy a D1 and I couldn't be happier! Welcome to the club!

That was a beautiful E30

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
If you're planning on rocky trails and rough country, you may want to change out those pro-comps sometime when the budget allows... there are far better alternatives out there. Also, definitely replace the worn bushings... As I'm sure you know, what may seem to be tight at a stand still, can really loosen up under load. Any small play can contribute to, as it is known 'round here, "death wobble". That term in the search feature may yield some more results for you.

Good Luck
Originally Posted by Long Haul
Check your panhard bar bushings they seem to be a problem with these trucks getting death wobble.
I ordered some panhard rod bushings. They'll be in Monday. THanks for the advise.