Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap!

I just bought a 1998 Disco 1 with a 4.0 engine and 165k miles. I changed the oil for the first time today. I used 5 quarts of castrol 5w30 oil and a Napa gold oil filter. after I was done I went about a mile down the road and the oil light came on. after about 10 miles the check engine light came on and I began to lose engine power and the engine didn't sound so great. I have changed oil on many different vehicles numerous times so I don't think it's anything I did wrong. I thought the guy at the parts store could have given me the wrong filter because it's longer but after researching it looks like that normal with the Napa golf series filters. Can anyone help me PLEASE!!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marnold-98-Disco
I just bought a 1998 Disco 1 with a 4.0 engine and 165k miles. I changed the oil for the first time today. I used 5 quarts of castrol 5w30 oil and a Napa gold oil filter. after I was done I went about a mile down the road and the oil light came on. after about 10 miles the check engine light came on and I began to lose engine power and the engine didn't sound so great. I have changed oil on many different vehicles numerous times so I don't think it's anything I did wrong. I thought the guy at the parts store could have given me the wrong filter because it's longer but after researching it looks like that normal with the Napa golf series filters. Can anyone help me PLEASE!!!!

Did you check the oil before you drove it? Have you check the oil SINCE you drove it? Sounds to me that you didnt cause you didnt put enough oil in the engine especially with oversized filter.

Either that or the new oil cleaned some sludge and you need to clean the oil pick up now. The oil light means your either extremely low on oil or oil pressure. Now you just need to figure out which one it is and why.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just so you know, the engine takes 7, count them, SEVEN quarts of motor oil NOT 5.
Also, 5w-30 is the WRONG OIL for these engines.
The oil filter you used is a great choice, but not the oil.
Add 2 more quarts, drive it for a few weeks and then change the oil and filter again but this time use the correct motor oil, Shell Rotella, either 5w-40 for cold climates or the 15w-40 for the warm ones.
I dont know where you live so I cant say which one to use.

EDIT:I re-read your post, you live in GA, Shell Rotella 15w-40, SEVEN quarts, buy it by the gallon at Wal-Mart, about $12 per gallon. If you kept driving after the oil light came on, and it sounds like you drove for 10 miles with it on, you seized the engine. Thats why you lost power and the check engine light came on. You now have a new to you boat anchor.

Last edited by Spike555; 02-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and castrol sucks

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Overlanding

Ugh!! I asked the guy at the parts store and he told me 5 quarts! can I add 2 quarts of a different oil to help balance the weight? if so what weight?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Team Owner

Just buy 2 quarts from the dollar store, add those and see if she will run.
If so then change the oil again in a week like I already said and switch to the correct oil.
No there is nothing you can add to "balance" out the oil viscosity.
Just add cheap oil, if the engine is toast no need to waste good money at this point.
And just a FYI, the guys at the parts stores are idiots, they only know what their computer tells them and 98% of the time they dont even know who makes Land Rover, they think it is made by Toyota.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Overlanding

when I pull the dipstick out it says its over full... why?!?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

There are 2 dipsticks, one by the firewall with a red rubber plug type of handle, that is on the left looking at the engine by the fire wall.
The other is on the right with a yellow top and a pic of a oil can on it.
Which one are you checking?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Overlanding

the yellow one on the right, but I'm guessing that's probably the wrong one...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Nope that is the right one, and it says overfull?
How much over?
Which drain plug did you use to drain the oil?
The one that is on the side of the oil pan and takes a huge wrench or the one farther back that faces straight down and takes a smaller socket?

Quick Reply: Need help asap!