Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need a new Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Need a new Exhaust

I have finally gotten to the last item on my long list of faults on my Discovery. It needs a new exhaust as the muffler has rusted and has a small hole in in. The resonator is getting to that point. The manifolds, downpipes, cats and Y pipe are all fine. So I would like to replace the muffler and resonator with something that will get a similar sound to factory. Nothing fancy, not trying to turn heads, just something that will last and not sound like junk. I saw an AllMakes muffler and resonator from Lucky8 for $180 which is tempting aside from the fact that I have had a hit and miss history with AllMakes. Then again it's an exhaust, so I'm not sure how that can be messed up. Maybe poor fitment. So what do you guys recommend? Thanks

Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

I normally go with a Magnaflow or Flowmaster, but that won't help you because you want a stock sound. And I don't know who makes the mufflers for AllMakes. I agree their stuff is hit or miss re: quality for most parts.

I can help you avoid a headache by recommending that you DON'T BUY ANY exhaust parts from BOSAL!!!! And I say that for a LR or any vehicle. 15 years ago Bosal was decent, but now that stuff is total crap and it's Rockauto cheap for a reason. Garbage!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If I want a stock sound than I would order the Allmakes from Lucky8. If I want a little something extra I would find a mom and pop local exhaust place and get something with a bit more throat to it.

Not sure how much fun you guys in Cali are allowed to have with exhaust.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
If I want a stock sound than I would order the Allmakes from Lucky8. If I want a little something extra I would find a mom and pop local exhaust place and get something with a bit more throat to it.

Not sure how much fun you guys in Cali are allowed to have with exhaust.
We can make the exhaust a little noisy here in CA but that's about it. You can't touch the cats or O2 sensors. Or the EVAP system. But a muffler and resonator is definitely okay to change out. All I want is the stock sound so maybe the AllMakes exhaust isn't a bad idea.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Than I would order the allmakes and call it a day.

Now something throaty will be my plan when the LR3 needs an exhaust. I want to hear that Jag V8 sing.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

fwiw...I just installed the Allmakes version on my '95D1...the fit wasnt too bad except the pipe between the two mufflers seems to be an inch or two too long...this happened before on my 98 using the same system......and I have to say that one time I ordered a Range Rover Classic Allmakes system and it fit my D1 perfectly..go figure

Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

lol..

Old 09-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
fwiw...I just installed the Allmakes version on my '95D1...the fit wasnt too bad except the pipe between the two mufflers seems to be an inch or two too long...this happened before on my 98 using the same system......and I have to say that one time I ordered a Range Rover Classic Allmakes system and it fit my D1 perfectly..go figure
I just ordered the AllMakes exhaust for $180. Hopefully it isn't bad.

I also hope it isn't too long because all I have to fix that is a hacksaw...

Old 09-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I just ordered the AllMakes exhaust for $180. Hopefully it isn't bad.

I also hope it isn't too long because all I have to fix that is a hacksaw...
buy a new blade...........just in case

Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

i replaced mine from the converter back, and last trip off-road, I lost the tailpipe and 1/3 of the resonator. I replaced it with a straight pipe and I haven't noticed a louder exhaust. I didn't get to it and noticed the exhaust had melted the wiring cover. Easy fix but wouldn't have been needed if I fixed it right away.

Quick Reply: Need a new Exhaust