Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need some advice on a purchase, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a purchase, please

Hi. I've been lurking around for long enough to let some of these convos scare me out of a purchase, but I think this is a steal.

Here's the deal:
2000 Disco
107,000 miles

Test drove it today (my THIRD test drive.. head gasket blew on my last drive. face palm)

The seller seems really cool. I got a good vibe from him. Had a toddler in the back seat. On his third rover. He is moving to Florida and needs to shed it. It's very clean and is his daily commuter. He said he drive seven before he picked this one and he loves it.

I drove it all across town while his kid and he ate breakfast.. Here's what I noticed:
-- A roar/hum at about 70
-- Handled EXCELLENT. Best one yet.
-- The front bumper is cracked pretty bad (all cosmetic)
-- New brakes all around
-- Tires have around 50k on them
-- Engine looked clean, but I am NO mechanic
-- There are lights on the dash, but he said it's a sensor and the dealer said no big deal, but it "smells funny" (no idea)

It's this or an '06 trailblazer. I am sick of car payments and need to make a purchase at around $5k or less. This will be my only vehicle. I will take my kid to school in it, family trips, etc... The guy wants $4,100 after a $3,300 offer.

I love these and want it, but do not want to get stranded without a ride either.

The gas mileage is okay with me and I'm aware it sucks because I like these that much. I plan to have this bad boy looked at every couple thousand miles whether it needs it or not.

I guess I need outsiders opinions that know these vehicles. I don't want to be stuck without a ride that often. I can't be, actually. I feel like this is a good deal and this rover would last me another 100,000 if I take care of it.

Thanks for any input.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like you've already made up your mind The roar or noise at 70 could be the tires with 50k on them, and you never mentioned if the head gaskets were replaced. I love my Land Rover as a daily driver, but have had some issues (more self inflicted than not) & will replace this one with another one no questions asked when that time comes. If it were me, I'd take it to a neutral mechanic just to take a look at it & find out what the lights on the dash really are and then decide from there if it's a good buy or not. I get the never want a car payment thing (sold my HUMMER with the $800/month payment for the Disco), and like the idea of adding what I want to what I got much more than tossing the cash off to the lender idea...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the reply. The head gaskets have not been replaced, but I plan to do that in the near future. After driving one of these, I can't get them out of my mind. Haha.

I am currently driving a 2011 Camaro SS convertible and I have a five year old. OVER IT. The FIRST thing I'm doing in this is hitting the grocery store. --

He's the only one I didn't get a "sketchy" feeling about. But at the same time, I get mental images of being on the side of the road watching blazers and pathfinders blow by me laughing, ya know?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Overlanding
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Overlanding
Old 04-30-2014, 01:19 PM
TReK
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Fine looking truck...but you should know that a head gasket job will cost $2,000-3,000 depending on your location and experience of the independent shop to which you take it.

That appears to bust your budget.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Overlanding

I also forgot to mention that while I don't like engine work, my Dad is a really good mechanic. I'd rather paint. -- From what I've gathered, the head gasket kit will run me like $200 and a weekend. Or am I missing something? I'm missing something aren't I? ((Thanks for this sanity check, BTW))

Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't know your location so I can't speak to your particular market BUT, a 15 year old truck needing head gaskets (if that's the only problem and it's not more serious), needing a bumper, needing tires, needing service to take care of unknown codes and the guy is seriously asking $4100?????

Don't be fooled by the shiny paint job. That's a $1000 truck a best, $500 where I am. That may seem harsh but unless you are ready to do all the work yourself and roll the dice on the head gasket issue, you're looking at close to the asking price in work to get it solid ($1500-$2000 for the HG's, $600 for the tires, $500 for the bumper installed, who knows how much to take care of the codes $500-$1000). So, really, is this an $7000-$8000 truck? If you aren't ready or can't do the work, run away.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're doing them yourself you may want to consider using ARP studs instead of the stretch-bolts.

If you do the stretch bolts get a cheater bar when you tighten them down, they're a booger. Also follow the procedure on torquing them down.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jhmover
If you're doing them yourself you may want to consider using ARP studs instead of the stretch-bolts.

If you do the stretch bolts get a cheater bar when you tighten them down, they're a booger. Also follow the procedure on torquing them down.
Are you kidding me? You're offering advice on ARP studs to a guy who as already stated he isn't a mechanic. This truck is all wrong for him. He's luck, fifty miles after paying someone to do the head gaskets he'll learn one of the sleeves has slipped. He'll be stuck with a 4400 pound boat anchor.

Seriously, this is not a $4000 truck. The seller may be a saint but I still wouldn't give him more than $1000 for it

KEEP LOOKING. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT TRUCK FOR YOU.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on a purchase, please