Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New member. on the fence about buying a discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011 | 12:05 PM

I do enjoy my Disco I. I have had it almost 4 years. It did sit for almost a whole year on year 2. I worked my way thru several issues and have had good usage since, but I do have a few more things to do HG or VPG yet. I had a growing oil leak, bought the entire gasket set on sale from RN, then discovered it was the valve cover bolts being loose. So the gasket set is on the shelf along with the used starter, the new wheel bearings that I did not have to replace, the new clamp set from AB and various other items I purchasedin anticipation of major repairs.

I do need to replace the drag link and the flange between the rubber coupler and the rear diff and buy a spare rubber coupler as well. I do need to get it down to the shop for state inspection. I found a local guy who is friends with another Discovery owner that I took it to last year., so I got to give him a call. I may get him to do those replacements for me since he has an old style service station with twin bays and lifts. That way I don't have to struggle with it in my drive way. I got all the parts on hand. Will Tillery provided the drag link and Tom sold me the flange set. That will pretty much get it caught up on needed repairs.

Danny, you'll be happy to hear that I drove my Disco to the liquor store today. Finally got it back on the road last weekend. We'll see how long THAT lasts.

Chuck, I hope you splurged and got some good sipping whiskey, you deserve to celebrate.

I would have bought some real smooth stuff like Gentleman Jack or Jamesons.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-01-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2011 | 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by erikardo
I appreciate all the help guys. I really didn't think that I would get the responses that I'm getting here. I definitely thought it would be more biased seeing as this is a discovery forum. Unfortunately the disco I had found got sold the day after my original post. I have found a 99 disco 2 that I'm looking at. I'm not sure why all of a sudden I fell in love with the discovery but I think I may just jump in feet first. Worst case my girlfriend and I carpool to work so I could afford some downtime. Hopefully this one doesn't get away from me.

BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT ISSUES YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF BEFORE BUYING JUST ANY DII. I WON'T ATTEMPT TO LIST THEM HERE, BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE RELATED DII WRITEUPS BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT DARING LEAP.

That said I do like the passenger and cargo capability of my discovery as well as the amazing performance off-road. It will get you into amazing plkaces where you can get in serious trouble in a hurry if not extremely careful and somewhat lucky as well. So jump right in, the water is deeper than it looks and full of hidden peril as well.

Old 03-01-2011 | 12:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah Chris Bob, you are famous

And we had the Rover in the family since about september of last year. I got it October of last year, my birthday present, and I've been driving it since. Only things I have done is 60k tune up and added a spectre air filter. Soon to come, front diff (IF I CAN GET A DARN SHOP..) and wheel bearings. So that is what? 7 months now?

Old 03-01-2011 | 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Default '96 Discovery I

I have had my Discovery for 3 years now, and the first issue I had with it was in December when the Fuel Pump went out. Also, I had a leak from the fuel tank, issue with the ignition key not coming out, rear door not opening and some other minor issues etc...ALL fixed with a little time and effort and NO cost <-- thanks to the assistance I have gotten from reading these posts!!!

It only has 122K miles on it, and I have been doing regular maintenance on it, in addition to "tinkering". (cleaning contacts, re-flowing solder in window ECU's, cleaning intake, changing wires and plugs, regular "PM" things that I would do on ANY vehicle)

So far, other then the 60K Service, normal oil changes, fluid changes and brakes, the pump is the only money I have had to invest.

It is my daily driver and I put on about 15K a year.

So - In my experience, it has been really an awesome vehicle that has required very little in upkeep. However, I really enjoy the "tinkering" aspect in taking care of vehicles and am NOT a guy who just keeps the oil changed. If there is a squeak, leak, shudder or groan - I gotta find out why and correct it.

I probably spend 3 to 5 hours a month in "PM"ing my vehicles, which may be, in addition to getting lucky with my purchase, why it has been so reliable.

And Chris-Bob - you are definitely famous...just maybe as "That Two Named Guy"!

Chris (Non-Bob)

Old 03-01-2011 | 01:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by calebbo
Ha, funny how I noticed that too. Realistically all I ever see are..
Danny Lee Disco
Disco Mike
Spike555
Calebbo
Groundapound
Tweakrover (I think his name is)
DemonLars? Something like that
Kenk
Laser
Atilla "the hun"
Hilltopper
Henrici
The guy with the donut sign? Forgot his name? Bob? It was a double name
Colodisco
AKdisco (he is new right?)
Mountaingoat
Spencerfitch

Yeah okay so I exhausted my memory. Sorry if I got your name wrong, it was just off the top of my head.
I'm takin yer @ss off my friend list!

Old 03-01-2011 | 01:26 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
I'm takin yer @ss off my friend list!
Man...now I got Mt. Dew on my keyboard.

Old 03-01-2011 | 01:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Man...now I got Mt. Dew on my keyboard.
Yeah I think I spilled Dr. Pepper because his name IS on there!

Old 03-01-2011 | 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I think I spilled Dr. Pepper because his name IS on there!
Dude - Cosmic88 is feeling left out.

Chris-Bob doesn't because he lives on an island and is used to not seeing people...

Old 03-01-2011 | 02:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry cosmic, I didn't mean to leave you out! To make amends I even edited my post and hoped you wouldn't notice! Oops!.. sorry!

And Chris-Bob, you live on an island? 0.0

Old 03-01-2011 | 02:38 PM
TReK

Sorry cosmic, I didn't mean to leave you out! To make amends I even edited my post and hoped you wouldn't notice! Oops!.. sorry!

And Chris-Bob, you live on an island? 0.0
Yup. Google map Ketchikan Alaska. Nice place. No roads though(at least, none that go anywhere)

Quick Reply: New member. on the fence about buying a discovery