Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New SS Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SS Brake lines

Well my SS brake lines came in today Britpart DA241340S, the +40mm ones. I plan on putting them on tonight after work. Already got 3 large bottles of DOT4 brake fluid ( I want to go ahead and do a flush while im under there).

1.can I do the bleeding and flushing by myself i've done it before but always with another person helping.

2. any other things I might need or advice, I want to do this right since it is only my brakes.

Otherwise this seems like a pretty straightforward install

Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good so far. Do you have a harbor freight by you? Or AZ or another parts store? They sell a 1 man bleeder tool. Otherwise it's time consuming.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Mudding

closet HF is 45 min AZ, AA, NAPA are all 25min away but the oreillys is 2min away, however Im not concerned about time, just getting it done right, Ill have between 10pm tonight and 7am in the morning to get it done.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a bit different than the one I've seen but you could take a trip to your O'Reillys.

| O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[hi-jack] Is that what it looks like? I was at Harbor Freight last week and I was looking for the "One Man Bleeder." I saw that thing, but I did not think that was it. I was expecting to see some sort of check valve [/hi-jack]

Otherwise, you can get the pistol-grip bleeder. I never liked those. You can make a pressure bleeder out of a garden sprayer, some hose, and a MC cap. Otherwise you can spend the money on a vacuum bleeder that will come in handy for more than one project.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The brake lines are straight forward, since you know how to bleed, the rest is simple. Since this will be the first time those things will come off, clean the area you will be working on and any misc. parts associated with the job. There will be crud, so you know the drill.

It is wise to use flare wrenches. If you do not have a set, your normal (right size), wrench will do..... Just make sure you take your time and not damage the nuts. The remaining tools, you probably already have in your box, flat head screw driver, long nose pliers, etc....

On installation, loosely tighten both ends on all corners, then tighten all at the same time. This will ensure you torque them equally. Just don't over tighten, It doesn't take much to do damage.

In regards to bleeding....

A family member or friend (tall enough), I find is the best "tool" for the job. But, there are time when no one IS around.....use a power type bleeder. The process will ensure that air is driven out.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Mudding

got the drivers front brake line in tonight (the one that popped). now have brakes, Im going to do the others within the next few days, when I dont have to worry about sleep and school.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The one man bleeders at HFT are alright, I have one, but it would be SOOO much faster if you would just do it with a friend.

Also, don't you bleed your brakes in this order: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front

Right? Or is this bad info?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

I got "Speed Bleeders" for mine. They work pretty well if you use teflon tape on them and follow the instructions. The brakes on these trucks need to be working well because there ain't much wiggle room.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Oh yeah, I got the SS brake lines too, although a different brand. I think it is money well spent.

Quick Reply: New SS Brake lines