Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No AC or fan at any speed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No AC or fan at any speed.

96 Disco 1 SE7. Just went on a 2.5 hour drive and she ran like a top. About 20mins from destination I decide to roll the windows up and turn on the ac.

Nothing.

No fan at any speed. No air recycle. No rear blower motor. Nothing.

If I press the AC button I can hear the electric fans turn on but nothing blows out.

Worked perfect and cold yesterday. Only recent electric thing I did was the Window ECU Bypass to get my rear windows to roll back up (which only worked for a day now they don’t roll down lol).

Fuses look good unless I’m overlooking one. Anyone have any ideas? Could the window bypass and this problem have any relation?

Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Slider is well know to get dirty contacts and stop or your blower kicked the bucket. You can unplug it and put it on any speed and see if you have 12v at the blower. If you do = blower dead, and if you don't then it's either the slider, a burnt connector, or relay.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Overlanding

That’s what happened when I first bought her last year. Slider worked on 1 and 4 but nothing in between. Bought a new climate control set up and it fixed her. The weird things is, I have a blower motor in the rear for the rear ac but it doesn’t work either. And the controls in the rear won’t turn it on as well.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

That sounds more like a fuse/relay then. Since u get aux fans to come when you engage it.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Overlanding

Okay cool, I'll look into it! On a Facebook group, someone is having the same issue. Both of us had recently done the Window ECU Bypass before this occurrence. Should I undo the bypass and splice everything back the way they were? I don't have any rear window action anyway despite the bypass so I'm not losing anything. Thanks for the help btw!

Old 09-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Worth a shot!

Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Does the little orange light in the a/c button come on? What about the condenser fans behind the grill?

Old 09-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hrhoward
Does the little orange light in the a/c button come on? What about the condenser fans behind the grill?
no light, but the fans do indeed turn on when AC button is on and fan speed is in any position besides off. Found a thread where someone replaced their window ecu because their rear windows went out and it fixed their fan issue too. Got one coming in from a part out so I’ll install that, revert the bypass, and check back in.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdoof
no light, but the fans do indeed turn on when AC button is on and fan speed is in any position besides off. Found a thread where someone replaced their window ecu because their rear windows went out and it fixed their fan issue too. Got one coming in from a part out so I’ll install that, revert the bypass, and check back in.
what's the update on this? Having same issue, and curious what you found. Mines a little basket case though so could be anything

Old 09-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Overlanding

Did what the dude said in the mentioned thread about the window ECU. Bought a used one, installed it, and reverted the bypass. Every window works now but I still don't have any fan power. I'm going to try to take the climate control unit out this weekend and see if the window bypass maybe fried something in one of the switches. I'll report back.

Quick Reply: No AC or fan at any speed.