Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

No Start, No Click, No Crank, Fully Charged Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts
Default No Start, No Click, No Crank, Fully Charged Battery

Hello Good People,
The last time I drove the truck was last week and there was no known issue as it started and I went about my business.
This week it will not start. The battery is full charged and was on a trickle charger as usual.
When turning the key I only hear a relay sound in the passenger footwell. The dash lights are on, the radio can be turned on, the headlight can be turned on. Turning the key there is no click, no crank.
I have checked:
Fuses under the hood and under the steering wheel.
The battery terminal are solid.
The key fob still works at locking and unlocking the doors.

Can someone please chime in as to what I am missing and what I should be checking?
Is my starter dead?
If my starter is dead is there a recommended alternative replacement?

As always thank you all for the continued support, its much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

are you hearing a continuous clicking when you turn the key on or just a single click??
mine sounded like a bunch of relays clicking as long as the key was in the on position. next day it was fine. a single click and it started right up, hasn't done it since.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I am hearing a single click that seems to be coming from the passenger footwell.
When turning the key I hear nothing. The battery is fully charged and lights appear on the dash.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

After you attempt to engage the starter and nothing happens, do the headlights still work or are they off until the next key cycle? Have you visually inspected the starter to ensure the signal wire from the ignition hasn't fallen off and is making good contact? You may want to remove and reattach your battery terminals to verify the connection. Perhaps clamping on the trickle charger has disturbed one of them.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the response!
Yes the headlights still work.
Today I will get in there and take off the heat shield and inspect the the starter wires.
The battery terminals are on solid. The trickle charger plugs in via a CTEK port I have mounted coming from the grill, its quick and painless without ever having to open the hood.

On another thread RobertF mentioned making sure nothing is plugged into the OBD2 port. Currently I have two devices connected - UltraGauge, and bluetooth dongle for running Torgue.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Sorry to detract, I have two OBD dongles as well and they conflict. When the UltraBlue (Ultragauge bluetooth dongle) and my generic ELM WiFi device are connected with a splitter, only one will communicate with an app at a time. I realize this is different than your setup but the underlying function seems to be the same. Does your Scangauge display data at the same time as the bluetooth dongle in Torque?

Edit: The headlights still working after the starter is attempted sounds like it is not a simple connection problem, like a bad ground. I'm not up on the starter circuit on these WRT an unloader relay or some other device that would sit in between the key and the starter but my gut here is a failed starter. You can try whacking it with a hammer (don't go nuts) to see if it "wakes up".

Last edited by ahab; 06-04-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The UltraGauge is primary and works fine, the other bluetooth dongle lights up and all but usually I have to remove the UltraGauge to get the dongle working with Torque. Being on the lazy side I just leave it connected.
I think the data flow is slow that it might as well be said that two devices dont work at the same time. I was excited as it seemed like a good idea in the beginning.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I did have my ScangaugeII pugged in when my truck did something similar, but my relays went crazy clicking the whole time. When I tried the next day, I unplugged the ScangaugeII and it started. Haven't left it plugged in since. I have left my other scanner plugged in with no problems, but it is a much larger one , Autel unit..

Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was able to get the heat shield off - pain in the butt!
No luck getting the car started by removing all items from the OBD2 port.
The wire connections to the starter looked good, I removed the starter for now. In the process of taking off the heat shield I broke a plug.
Would anyone be able to identify this plug?

T.I.A.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

My friend it looks like you broke the body of the Knock Sensor ( ERR5594 ).

Good news it's simple to replace now just don't lose the metal clip for the multiplug.
Bad news it's spendy …

> https://www.roverparts.com/engine/sensors/ERR5594/

Last edited by OverRover; 06-05-2020 at 12:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Toran (06-05-2020)

Quick Reply: No Start, No Click, No Crank, Fully Charged Battery