Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

This is normal right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is normal right?

I have been having an issue with Disco dying at slow speeds. Almost as if its running out of gas. Did a tune up this weekend and when I removed the old fuel filter look what was inside. Not sure how it was even running at all.

Well put new plugs, wires, fuel and air filter and today while out riding with the family it stalled again. Runs awesome otherwise but, its got me worried. Any ideas? Every time it has stalled has been at slow speeds. Of course its when its been at the red light, at the boat ramp and now on the trail.

Attached Thumbnails This is normal right?-fuel-filter.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That's not the only filter. You have a pick-up filter on the bottom of the fuel pump and the injectors have very fine screens in the inlets. I'll bet the pick-up screen needs replacing and whatever passes through the main filter lands in the fine screens in the injectors. Depending on how many miles on the engine I'd say the injectors need a good ultrasonic cleaning. Check for vacuum leaks and clean the idle air solenoid.

That should keep you busy for awhile......and list the year of your Disco as it helps us (me) know if it's 14CUX or GEMS.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Think I would pull the pump when the tank gets low and look in with a flashlight, could be an old filter with years of buildup, could have got bad gas at some point, could be one of the fill/vent hoses breaking down

Sock on the pump could be clogged

Do you have codes? Ultra gauge ? Stalling is probly a symptom of another issue, is the fuel pressure regulator hose good?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
That's not the only filter. You have a pick-up filter on the bottom of the fuel pump and the injectors have very fine screens in the inlets. I'll bet the pick-up screen needs replacing and whatever passes through the main filter lands in the fine screens in the injectors. Depending on how many miles on the engine I'd say the injectors need a good ultrasonic cleaning. Check for vacuum leaks and clean the idle air solenoid.

That should keep you busy for awhile......and list the year of your Disco as it helps us (me) know if it's 14CUX or GEMS.

She is a 98 with about 187k. I will check the other stuff this weekend.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOM R
Think I would pull the pump when the tank gets low and look in with a flashlight, could be an old filter with years of buildup, could have got bad gas at some point, could be one of the fill/vent hoses breaking down

Sock on the pump could be clogged

Do you have codes? Ultra gauge ? Stalling is probly a symptom of another issue, is the fuel pressure regulator hose good?

No codes other than the SRS coming off and on. I bet the filter in the tank is a lot worse than the one on the frame rail. I will try to pull the tank off this weekend.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Camel Trophy

There's an access cover over the pump in the load space, just lift the carpet and pad. No need to pull the tank off.......

Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When diagnosing an issue like this, keep Occcam's Razor top of mind. The simplest solution is the most likely. For instance, in your case, all the crap you found in the filter wasn't causing your problem. Doesn't mean restricted gas supply isn't the issue, just means it may not be. Vacuum leaks would be my first stop knowing a bit about how crappy the vacuum line on my D1 were.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Drifting

So I pulled the IACV out and when I went to wipe it off, it just fell apart. I ordered a new one from napa. She wouldn't even start. I took it back and cleaned and put the old one back together to get her to run. What brand IACV do you guys recommend? I have seen price ranges from $42 all the way to $475!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Iirc the IACV for a jeep works they are cheap on eBay/ amazon the plug is slightly clocked wrong but will work
If you replace the iirc you will need the engine ecm reset or the idle will be off, it is one of those awesome stupid rover things

If you find an Indy rover shop that can do it can be reset as cheap as $20

Dealer will most likely charge much more

Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Doesn't always need to be a "new born" to learn IACV zero. When you get it PM me....... Rovahfarm sells them for $147+shipping. It's a bit much but it's OE, page 3 of Engine and Clutch - Disco. It's called a Stepper Motor.......

Quick Reply: This is normal right?