Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

OME Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME Steering Stabilizer

I picked up and OME steering damper with my new TF lift. Went to install it the other day thinking it would take me 10min and instead spent 20min just stairing wondering if I'm an idiot or what I'm missing.

The Damper I got is OMESD11 as pictured below. The unit appears to be quite a bit shorter than the factory stabilizer.. What am I missing?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe they come compressed. Don't flame me if I'm wrong. There are a few threads around with the same question and answer.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by adigerol77
I believe they come compressed. Don't flame me if I'm wrong. There are a few threads around with the same question and answer.
I was thinking just that.. Wasn't sure though and didn't want to start reefing on it to try uncompress it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
I was thinking just that.. Wasn't sure though and didn't want to start reefing on it to try uncompress it.
No, I think if you turn the top of the piston 180 deg it'll pop out, it's been a long time though. Stupid question, did it come with instructions? God I feel like a woman asking that question

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Drifting

I installed an OME damper on another Disco 1 last summer--it didn't come with any instructions, so I simply pulled on each end to uncompress it. The damper handled it well enough and seemed no worse for the wear afterward. Actually, my buddy and I had a quick chuckle about the damper being part of the mechanic's home gym. I have not experienced any problems with it since installation.

The nightmare for me was removing the stock damper. Twelve years of oxidation and corrosion had actually fused the nuts on each end of the original damper--not only to each other, but to the threaded shaft of the damper as well! I was lucky with my first attempt; the shaft broke clean off just behind the nuts. The other side wouldn't budge at all and I had to slice it off with a Dremel.

Also, are you simply upgrading your damper or replacing it due to damage? I know you already bought the D1 damper, but I would highly recommend moving the damper up front. It's a bit more money and uses a D2 damper instead, but it is a much safer location for the damper...something I learned that the hard way

Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EkaInfinitos
I installed an OME damper on another Disco 1 last summer--it didn't come with any instructions, so I simply pulled on each end to uncompress it. The damper handled it well enough and seemed no worse for the wear afterward. Actually, my buddy and I had a quick chuckle about the damper being part of the mechanic's home gym. I have not experienced any problems with it since installation.

The nightmare for me was removing the stock damper. Twelve years of oxidation and corrosion had actually fused the nuts on each end of the original damper--not only to each other, but to the threaded shaft of the damper as well! I was lucky with my first attempt; the shaft broke clean off just behind the nuts. The other side wouldn't budge at all and I had to slice it off with a Dremel.

Also, are you simply upgrading your damper or replacing it due to damage? I know you already bought the D1 damper, but I would highly recommend moving the damper up front. It's a bit more money and uses a D2 damper instead, but it is a much safer location for the damper...something I learned that the hard way
Appreciate the info. I did the same thing.. Just pulled it apart with my hands..

It's currently drying as I'm painting it. Yellow is a bit flashy for my liking..

I had heard a lot of guys relocate them to a better position but I have already bought this one.. If I manage to brake it wheelin then I'll definitely take your suggestion and relocate it up front.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use that damper style and still relocate it. I am making some mounts that will relocate the stock one. Ill post pics tomorrow if I get it on.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CUpgt
You can use that damper style and still relocate it. I am making some mounts that will relocate the stock one. Ill post pics tomorrow if I get it on.
News to me.. Pics would be great, might just do it the right way the first time in that case.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  Steeringstabilizerrelocation.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  41.0 KB
Thats the idea. PM me if you are interested in a set of the brackets.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AuZZZie

It's currently drying as I'm painting it. Yellow is a bit flashy for my liking..

HA!
I painted my black suspension upgrade yellow. different strokes......

Quick Reply: OME Steering Stabilizer