Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Parking brake maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake maintenance?

First post here guys.
I'm trying to mess with my park brake, and I need some guidance. Not only is the brake inoperative, but after I've been driving around a while the metal part of the brake lever gets really hot, but nothing else around it does. I really don't believe that it's ambient heat from the transmission, taking everything into consideration. I followed the workshop manual instructions to adjust the brake, but the adjustment bolt just turns and turns and turns. The manual seems to have no further info about the park brake.
So I guess my question is, if I want to mess with the park brake further, do I need to disconnect the driveshaft? This is what it looks like, but it seems like it could be a bit of chore. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The heat in the parking brake handle is likely due to a wire that is shorting right there next to the brake. Better check it out, because if that is the case it can start a fire. The hot brake handle is classic sign. If you can't find what wire it is talk to Spike. He is the one that recently brought that to everyone's attention.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Winching

Does the handle pull up?

the cable may be broken (probably is)

Carefully put your hand on the drum (underneath) after a ride, does your skin stick to it?

If you have to service it, yes the rear ds comes out, block the wheels!!

What model? what year? what state?

luck,greg

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a '97 LSE, in Kansas, which just happens to be about 106 degrees this week. And yes, I do mean that the entire state is 106. Stupid Kansas.
Anyway, I just picked up the Disco about two weeks ago, and I've noticed the hot handle for about a week. I first noticed it on a relatively cool night, so it wasn't due to ambient heat. I tinkered around in there for a bit today, and didn't notice any signs of damaged wiring.
So, I drove it over to AutoZone and picked up an IR surface thermometer, then when I got home, took some temps.
Brake handle: around 130 (youch!)
Rear of park brake drum: between 120 and 130.
Front of park brake drum: mid to upper 130's.
Transfer case housing: around 140, as well as the part of the brake cable housing that interfaces with the underside of the body, just above the trans case. I was pretty surprised by this, as that all looks like rubber.
So at this point it looks pretty likely that the heat could actually be coming from the gearboxes?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it is ambient heat transfer to me. zDid you say the outside of the transfer case housing looks like rubber? That may be the factory undercoating? Waxoyl possibly?

If it is real grimy, that will hold the heat in. How much was the IR surface thermometer?

What are the temps under the hood? Engine block/radiator/tranny housing?

What are your fluid levels and when were they last changed for the transfer case and diff's? Oil?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is what can happen from a shorted out wire under the center console, hot parking brake handle is a dead give away.

Name:  146d77ec.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  178.1 KB

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

And this is what can happen when a power steering hose breaks.

Name:  daaa5453.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  109.8 KB

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Winching

I tried to tell 'em Spike. I tried to tell 'em! LOL.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
And this is what can happen when a power steering hose breaks.

ACK! I have a leaking power steering hose right now.... Now, it's the next fix. I didn't realize it was that flammable.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, are those discos on your lot? I really could use a bolt from the bottom drivers side of the upper part (backrest) of the drivers side seat. (Where is folds down). I'm missing mine. Nobody wants to part with that bolt unless they are selling the whole seat, but in this case... Mine is a D1.

Quick Reply: Parking brake maintenance?