Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Parking Brake Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010 | 07:24 PM
|
4th Gear
Default Parking Brake Repair Question

Hi!
I have a 2000 Disco II w/115,000 miles. I've had it for a little over 4 years and the parking brake hasn't really worked as long as I've had it. Passed a TX safety inspectin in 06, some how..not long after purchase moved to MI where they don't do inspections. Now back in TX and need to pass safety inspection but parking brake causes it to fail. Mechanic says that he can't get dealer to work with him on parts so he thinks I may have to take it to dealer 2 1/2 hours away...
My question is, would I save money ordering parts online and then having him put them on? What parts would I need? Mech says that he's almost certain the whole thing will "fall out" when he opens it up. He just doesn't have the space to open it up and wait on parts. I'm willing to replace the entire thing with my local guy if it would be more cost effective that taking to LR.
Thanks for you advice!

Old 09-30-2010 | 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't know the reason for him to say that everything will fall out. The parking brake in the LR goes to the drive shaft and can be "run over" by the engine, that is what tipically happens to them, they get burn out because people drive with them engaged. The repair is not a hard job to do. If you must buy the parts before you know whats wrong, then so be it, still cheaper than the dealer. But it doesn't sound like your mechanic is looking forward to the job. Can you get a second opinion? Someone willing to look what's needed and wait for the parts? Someone with the right attitude would even pull it apart , look, order, put it back together and then do the job when the parts come.

Old 09-30-2010 | 07:49 PM

why don't you figure out what is wrong with it? its maybe a 15 min job to assess what is going on. download the RAVE manual at landroverresource.com and do the repair yourself.

Old 09-30-2010 | 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
why don't you figure out what is wrong with it? its maybe a 15 min job to assess what is going on. download the RAVE manual at landroverresource.com and do the repair yourself.
I just stopped short of saying that, but maybe he doesnt have the time or facilities, but I definitelly agree that it is an easy job. I don't like his mechanic.

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:09 PM
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by leadfoot
I just stopped short of saying that, but maybe he doesnt have the time or facilities, but I definitelly agree that it is an easy job. I don't like his mechanic.
I've thought that myself, but "he" is a "she" and at the moment I'm not physically able to get under and work on it myself. If it's an easy fix, I'll definitely look for a second opinion.
Thanks!
Trina

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:15 PM
TReK

it might just need adjusted you can do that with a 5/8" socket...theres a bolt on the back (engine side) of the unit..tighten it.

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Hello Trina. Sorry for assuming a "he", but it is just a matter of the ratio between men and women here. It really is not a big job. Look for another mechanic. What part of the US are you in?

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:38 PM
|
4th Gear

Don't worry about the assumption. Made me chuckle! I've been on other forums where they were downright rude when they found out I was female...but not this one...always helpful.
I am in Corpus Christi, TX. Haven't been here long, so I'm still trying to find someone to work on it. Will also get on the Rave book and see what info I can get from that.
Thanks!

Old 09-30-2010 | 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The parking brake is just a drum brake. If I remember right, theres only two brake shoes and a few springs in there, not much to "fall out".