Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Pinion Drive Flange

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pinion Drive Flange

Guys,

My oldest son has been driving my 97 DI for the last few weeks. Today on his way home, the flex coupler started coming apart on him. I had a replacement flex coupler and bolts on hand, so we got underneath and started unbolting the flex coupler.

Due to one of the rear bolts having vibrated loose, the flange that the rubber flex coupler bolts to on the rear differential has worn away badly and basically ripped out at one of the three hole locations.

I came in and reviewed the RAVE and the Rovers North website. I can get the upgrade kit from RN that does away with the rubber flex coupler. It comes with a replacement rear drive shaft, universal joints and a four bolt flange for the rear differential and retails for $269.00 plus shipping.

Tomorrow I plan to check with the local recycler that specializes in foreign autos and see if they have a used rear diff and how much they are.

Looking at the rave, I think the damaged part on mine is the pinion drive flange. Is it possible to just remove and replace this flange? Does anybody have a spare one available or know where I can find one?

I am sure that Tom or some of you other guys that know these things inside and out could give me some further guidance on whether a simple repair is possible or do I need to be looking for a replacement rear diff?

We were able to unbolt just the 6 bolts securing the flex coupler, slide it forward and bolt it back together with a stack of flat washers at the damaged hole location, but I would like to do a proper fix ASAP. It was a little bit of a challenge getting under it out in the driveway in the dark with the temp in the 20's and snow everywhere, but we slid a big piece of cardboard underneath to keep from laying in the snow.

Those are 3/4 inch inch / 19mm bolts and nuts that secure the flex coupler in place. With two gear wrenches and some PB Blaster, we got the old one out in just a few minutes working together. I had read that you could get by without unbolting the front of the rear driveshaft. With both of us pushing by hand and using a long wrench as a prybar, that worked. Not exactly easy, but doable.

Thanks to all for your continued inputs.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can just replace the 3 both flex coupler flange to a 4 bolt u-joint flange but you cannot use your 3 bolt drive shaft.
If you can find a late model '97 or a '98 you can get the u-joint drive shaft as well as the flange you need.
My '97 has 4 u-joints and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can just replace the flange. I know that the D2 flange will work also.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC3723.cfm

And you should replace the Centering pin while your at it because they dont come out easily. If I remember corectly you have to heat them up as they are held in place with press fit loctite.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TID000010G.cfm

And while your there it wouldnt hurt to put a new pinion seal in it also.

Personally I like ujoints better and would go with a ujoint shaft and 4 bolt flange but the Rotoflex seams to be less maintanance.

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Baja

I am definitely leaning toward the ProLine upgrade kit from RN that includes a nw rear drive shaft with u joints and a four bolt replacement flange unless I can get a good deal on aused one from a late 97 or 98 DI like Spike has. I am afraid by the time I buy all the stuff I should do to keep the three bolt flange, it would exceed the price of the upgrade kit anyway.

Does anyone have a used 3 bolt flange laying around that they don't need?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a used 3 bolt flange, the pin and a new pinion seal I can get out to you Friday.
$30 shipped USPS priority mail so you should have it Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Baja
Default Great Deal

Tom,

That sounds great to me. That is exactly the kind of deal I was hoping to find. You are an incredible resource. Thanks a ton. PM on the way.