Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Questions about modifications.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about modifications.

Hey guys ive been really into cleaning up the rover and i was wondering a couple things.

1. Does mag Hytec or even ARB make diff covers for A disco I?

2. I really want some new wheels but i dont want plain steelys, Something like the DC-2s or even the KMC rockstars. Anyone know how much custom or even drilling wheels would be?

3. Anyone selling Black leather interior? Front and rear seats?

4. Im considering doing 2" Body lift over my 2" suspension lift. . . Bad for my springs and shocks? Any problems with doing this?

Thanks guys, Ive just really been looking to make my rover, MY ROVER.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

1. The Disco uses a third member like a Toyota so there is no diff cover like you're thinking.

2. Because of the bolt pattern of the D1 (5x6.5) being pretty much unique to Rover there's not a lot of aftermarket wheels available. Most manufacturers concentrate on making wheels that will fit more than one specific vehicle. That being said, do your research because I know there are aftermarket wheels available for the D1. You're just going to have limited choices.

3. There are leather covers available for your seats which will save you money over buying all new seats. Keep in mind how hot black leather gets in the summer.

4. I personally don't like the look of a body lift. I don't like the look of the gap between the frame and body. I would rather see someone use spacers on the springs than a body lift. What suspension did you go with for your 2" lift?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Damn i love those mag hy tecs.

i just want some nice clean black wheels with some class lol

the only place i know to buy covers is wal mart... i feel so ghetto buying covrs from them, my rover deserves better.

i meant the spacers. i went with a 2" OME heavy duty lift

Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 AM
TReK

Since you have a 98 you should have a u-joint at the rear differential so putting spacers on top of your OME springs shouldn't cause you any driveline problems. What do you use your truck for that you want more lift than your OME springs give? I'm not a fan of raising a vehicles center of gravity and making it more likely to roll if there's not a real need.

Look online for seat covers. I know places like Cabelas don't list anything for Rovers but at least you can get ideas of what you want and companies that make them then go directly to the company website. I know Cabelas sells some nice leatherette covers that I've looked at for a long time and thought about getting a set for my Rover.

Keep looking on the internet and talking to local tire shops for wheels. It won't be easy but put the time in and you'll find the wheels that you want.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize these aren't leather but they are waterproof and they are made specifically for the different land rover vehicles. I think these are awesome and I wish I could afford a set.

http://www.wetokole.com/LAND-ROVER.html

Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ProComp used to make aftermarket wheels that fit the D1 bolt pattern but not any more, you mite get lucky and find a used set.
As far as putting spacers on your springs youll be fine in the front but youll need longer shocks in the rear.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Well i plan on slowly building up a nice little trail ready rover, I mean its ready now but i like to be 100% confident in those kinda things. My plan is to sell my wheels and tires, Get steelys and like 265 Nittos or those wranglers, the spacers are just there so the 265s dont look so weird, Last time i put 265 on they looked wayy too big. No rubbing well except on the front radius arm but at that time i didnt know you could adjust them, Neither did the tire guy... Fail lol

Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
TReK

I walked into the tire shop here in town and asked if they could get me a couple steel wheels for my project Rover. I told the guy the bolt pattern is 5 on 6.5 and he immediately assumed I meant 6 on 5.5 like Chevy uses. The guy was supposed to talk to his vendor and get back to me but I've never heard a word from him. Epic failure. I'll go to the other shop where I know the manger.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LR alloy wheels are actually internal bead locks. Going to steel wheels you lose that feature and it becomes much easier to spin a tire off the rim when aired down. I don't know if you air down on trails but always did and enjoyed knowing the bead locks were there. After watching how much trouble the tire shop had removing the tires I felt really confident I wouldn't spin one off on the trails I ran.

Last edited by AK Rover; 08-10-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would like some of these:
http://www.melvillandmoon.com/seat_covers.html

Only problem is they are in South Africa.
Anyone want to do a group buy?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe my best option is just to look at getting my stockers powdercoated. id hate to spin a tire off, That would leave me stranded.

Right now, Im focused on Getting my push bar powdercoated and put back on and getting my T-case replaced for the Stockers without Lockers run up at bill moore lake. Thanks for invite to that site Colodisco!

Quick Reply: Questions about modifications.