Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

R380 repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R380 repair questions

So, the 95 Disco 1 that my teenager is driving developed a transmission fluid leak, and some disturbing noises. I finally got the gearbox out and found the issues. Which seem to be as follows:
The front of the mainshaft broke off, which killed 4/3 synchro gear assembly, the 4th gear synchro ring, and whatever keeps the oil from leaking out the front cover.

input shaft

So anyway, it looks to me like the little projection on the main shaft where the taper bearing goes on has broken off, and might be stuck in the back of the input shaft.
The obvious solution would be to replace the gearbox, which I don't want to do. I really don't have the budget. What I want to do is get it back to minimum stable and running condition with the minimum cash outlay.
Anyway, can someone confirm or correct my observations?
Also, does anyone have good sources and numbers for the bearing, seals, and synchro parts?
I am sort of assuming that I will end up manufacturing a new front piece for the mainshaft, drill out a place for it on the lathe, and go with that. Unless I can find a cheap replacement.
To make things more complicated, the serial number of the gearbox is illegible except for the "J" suffix.
Thanks- Toad

Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Ashcroft Transmissions

A used box is generally around $250 and with the amount of shavings I wonder why you wouldn't bite that bullet. By the time you replace/repair it will be about the same I believe.

You'll see on Ashcroft's site the "J" suffix means it's a 95 model R380.....

The following users liked this post:
toadboy65 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Drifting

If I could find one for that, I would go for it. Unless the shipping quadrupled the price.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Where are you located?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I have my old noisy but intact box lying as a spare, if you were close I'd offer it to you for sale.

Otherwise try syncro gearboxes in UK or ashcroft. Ashcroft being the more well known go-to. You could order parts and have a shop near you rebuild but likely costs would be greater than getting a professional rebuilt unit from UK.

Toad,

where you're at now, nothing will be cheap. Either you:

>fork out $$$ for parts and DIY
>fork out $$$$$ for parts and shop rebuilds
>fork out $$$$ for ashcroft or like drop in unit

Old 01-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Drifting

I am in Western North Carolina, Northwest of Asheville.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by toadboy65
I am in Western North Carolina, Northwest of Asheville.
Either parts then or new unit, you are not close to me

>try RovahFarm, RoversNorth, Atlantic British for parts here in USA (best to call them and explain what you need)

>LRDirect, Ashcroft in UK, ashcroft I know has bearing kits but not sure if they have the other broken items you need.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Uh yeah, not too many Disco's in that area. I looked while in Augusta GA awhile back. Try this guy; Drillbit - Purveyor of fine used Rover Parts
270 576 7922

He's in Kentucky.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Does anyone recommend albrit.de? They seem to have the parts, at a decent price.
I am not really all that cheap, but this car spent a decade parked in a pasture, home to mice and other wildlife. That is after a decade of use as a farm truck.
But it has always started when required, and drove fairly well, even with the current transmission damage. The leaking fluid was what concerned me enough to put it on the lift and start pulling pieces off. Assuming I get it back on the road, it is going to be driven by one of my kids, and will likely be destroyed, as happens with teenagers and cars.
In the meantime, the kid is driving my Mercedes AMG, and I have to drive one of my collector cars.
But thanks for the helpful responses here. I will keep looking for a few days before I order parts.
T

Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toadboy65
In the meantime, the kid is driving my Mercedes AMG, and I have to drive one of my collector cars.
T
I’m emotionally conflicted. Part of me wanted to be sarcastic and say tough life with a wink, but mostly you sound like a hell of a cool dad.

Quick Reply: R380 repair questions